• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Working you notice/ withholding wages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working you notice/ withholding wages

Hi all
    my son-in law had a falling out with his manager and decided to hand in his notice, giving one week as per his contract. On the Tuesday the manager asked if he intended to leave the firm. My son-in-law said yes and that Friday would be his last shift. The manager then became abusive and told him to get his tools and leave the premises. On the day he was due to get paid nothing arrived into his account. They told him they had withheld his due wages to recoup some of the money he owed them. This was money loaned to him to buy a car. They are also refusing to pay him the weeks notice which they would not let him work.
    so the question is can they withhold his wages and should they pay him the weeks notice they refused to let him work
    Tags: None

Under what terms was the loan provided to him? In most situations a loan is provided with a document created that sets out the repayment terms via deduction from salary until the loan is repaid and that in the event of the person leaving before the loan has been repaid then what will happen.

In terms of the notice period then if your son-in-law has given them his contractual notice and they do not want him to work it then he should be paid in lieu.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you ula
      there was no contract for the loan no signing etc just word of mouth.
      they have now agreed to pay week in lieu but kept week in hand money and the week in lieu money to pay off loan.
      can they legally do that ??

Comment

They can only do that if the employment contract clearly allows them to do so. Look for unlawful deductions from wages.
        If your son succeeded, he would still owe them the money. Is the loan bigger.
        His claim would be in the Employment tribunal.

Comment

There was no written agreement/contract between your son-in-law and his employer specifically for the loan and deductions from salary to repay this so the only other thing I would check before going down the unlawful deductions from wages route is, whether in the employment contract your son-in-law had with the company, there was any clause that related to Deductions from Wages or something similar, if there was then read it carefully to see what this covers.

This is a pretty standard clause in most contracts and allows for the company to deduct from salary/wages any overpayment made and/or monies owed to the employer by the employer and usually covers things like any excess holiday, outstanding loans, advances and the cost of repairing any damage or loss to the employer’s property caused by the employee.

If there was such a clause then his employer is entitled, under this, to recover what is outstanding on the loan. If this does not cover what is owed, then the employer should be arrange a repayment schedule post employment termination.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X