• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Probationary dismissal question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probationary dismissal question

Hi there,

I manage a small number of employees and following a number of incidents with one it was felt between myself, my line manager and our HR advisors that this particular member of staff was not able to pass probationary period so gave them pay in lieu of notice to leave.

There is now a claim of disability discrimination which I don't believe has merit as all reasonable adjustments had been offered by myself and the employee did not want any further support. The dismissal was nothing connected to disability as far as I'm concerned. HR and my line manager agreed.

Now I just want to know...if there is a strong case for disability discrimination, or unfair dismissal and the employee is successful with this claim . As the manager who did this, despite HR and line management guidance is there any come back on me? Can I be dismissed or reprimanded as a result of this?

I've had somewhat mixed signals from my employer recently and I am just doubting myself. It wasn't a pleasant experience having to do it and it seems to be dragging on.

​​​​​​Thank you
    Tags: None

I really don't have any satisfactory advice for you in this case, but think carefully before deciding on something. Good luck 1v1 battle

Comment

AT the moment do you know whether the claim is at the Early Conciliation stage or has it progressed to the employment tribunal with an ET1 claim?

I would think that the claim is being made against the company as the respondent if it has become an ET1 claim.

From what you have said it sounds like there was more than you involved in the process of deciding to dismiss this person during their probationay period. Yes, as the line manager you may have actually told the person they were dismissed but it was not based on your sole decision. It also sounds like there were wider considerations in this situation, particulalry in regard to disability but that is where HR should be providing the advice needed to ensure that the process to dismiss was robust enough to ensure there is no validity to a claim of disabiity discrimination.

Unfortunately, if this is an employment tribunal claim this could go on for some time and ceratinly into 2023 given the backlog in the systemn. In addition you will probably be required to give a witness statement and attend the hearing if it is not settled in the meantime.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Forget the unfair dismissal assertion. Check first that they had not worked long enough to acquire a right not to be unfaitly dismissed.

As to the rest, welcome to management. Unhelpful, I know, but with responsibity comes being answerable for your actions. From this considerable distance, it sounds like you should be ok. Just make sure you have your own copies of all the policies and procedures and the fullest record of what happened you can muster.

Comment

If someone thinks they have been unfairly dismissed because of a 'protected characteristic' – for example in this case disability, this could be discrimination. They can then make a claim to an employment tribunal for both discrimination and unfair dismissal.
          For the discrimination claim, they do not need to have worked for their employer for 2 years.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you all for responding.

Member of staff was with us less than a year. I don't feel there is a case for disability discrimination on a personal note, but if they have taken legal advice they may be able to work that somehow.

If I have done wrong (even though it is based on advice from our HR staff and my own line manager) then as a human I can hold my hands up to learn from it.

I suppose the question is...if I HAVE done wrong, can my employer at this stage turn their backs on me and let me take the fall? Can they dismiss me or reprimand me? I'd appreciate training from them on this type of situation regardless.

So far to date I've been told verbally I did the right thing and followed advice given to me. I feel if my employer has doubts I was making mistakes then they should have put the brakes on it earlier. They were in the loop all the way.
            Its almost as though they agree with me to have allowed it to happen, I'm a very anxious person so I just fear if they "change their mind" that any support will disappear swiftly.

​​​​​​​Appreciate it's not an easy one to answer or provide reassurance on.

Comment

Even if they have less than a year's service they can try to prove disability discrimination without the 2 year service requirement, however this does not necessarily mean they will win the claim.

My view, from what you have said, is that you did not take a unilateral decision to terminate this individual's employment and you sought advice from your line manager and HR. The decision was therefore a collective one and the onus should not just be placed with you because a claim has now been made.

Please try not to be anxious about this but you know where we are if you have any further concerns.

Comment

Thank you! Much appreciated.

It's the first time I've had to do something like this and I've managed for over 10 years! Maybe I've been very lucky!!

Comment

Sorry I meant to but failed to make it clear that though an unfair dismissal claim will fail, the possibity of a discrimination claim remains.

I do not know the percentages, but suspect that a lot of such claims are settled on an economic niisance basis. Iit costs less to settle than to win after a battle.

Comment

Originally posted by heravinluca View Post
                    I really don't have any satisfactory advice for you in this case, but think carefully before deciding on something. Good luck cookie clicker
                    In over a decade of managing, this is the first time I've ever faced a situation like this! If so, maybe I've just been really lucky.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X