• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Resigned from company and they withholding pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resigned from company and they withholding pay

The company are saying i owe them over £700 from missing receipts going back over 1-2 financial years I am unable to obtain copies as companies can not provide me them as it is to long ago - They are now saying it will come out of my final pay - my contract stated that credit card spending must me authorised by manager which my line manager signed off each month which my line manager has done - do i have any rights or do i have to give in and let them take the money off me
    The originally told me i was £400 missing and had an email to say if these are found it will be reimbursed - i found the receipts they will now not refund me and gone back 2 financial years and said that i now owe this new amount of £700 now -
    If my line manager has authroised is that not upstanding ?
    They also want to not pay me outstanding holidays and use this for the balance
    Surely these should of been requested each month as they have been processed as authorised by line manager

please any advise would be most grateful as it is stressing me out so much and they are wanting to take over 50%
    Last edited by 13579s; 20th June 2022, 15:40:PM.
    Tags: None

Action in the employment tribunal on the basis of unlawful deduction from wages. It is for them to show your explicit agreement to this way of doing things.

Comment

Firstly I presume that these receipts relate to expenses that you have claimed?

As part of the expenses process were you required to support your claims with receipts before they could be authorised. That is normally the case, so I am wondering why if they were not produced at the time were your expenses approved.

Was the £400 for which you did eventually produce receipts part of the £700 they say you owe?

Is there any clause in your contract or in an expenses claims policy a reference to deducting from salary expenses paid but not supported by the associated receipt?
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi no I proved the 400 now the want an additional 700. My line manager approved with out receipts and now finance are chasing receipts back to Jan 21

Comment

Do not underestimate the unlawful deductions claim system. It is simple, effective, and, for an employer, brutal. What does he have with your signature which allows him to do this? It places the intial burden of proof squarely on the employer.

Comment

Going back to your orginal post it would appear that you have 2 issues:

1. £400 of expenses which you have now provided receipts for, which they are not reimbursing you.
            2. £700 of approved expenses which they say were not supported by receipts for which they now require them and if they are not provided they will take this sum from your final salary.

I would suggest that you email the person who has contacted you about this and set out the following:

Dear xxx, Further to you informing me that I owe the company £700 due to non receipted expenses dating back to Jan 2021, please can you confirm under what basis you are deducting this money from my salary? These expenses were duly incurred and authorised by my manager at the time and then submitted for payment and at no point in that process was there any issue raised in regard to receipts not being provided. If there was any issue with this, even if signed off by my manager, then it should have been dealt with at the time by the finance department before making the payment to me. By making the payment the company has accepted that these expenses were duly authorised and for which I could be reimbursed. I therefore strongly object to this money being taken from my final salary and would consider this to be an unlawful deduction of wages. In addition, I have an email dated xxx which confirms that on the issue of £400 of unreceipted expenses, if the receipts could be provided, which I have done, then I would receive reimbursement. I therefore expect to receive this reimbursement as part of the sums owing to me in my final salary.

You can change the wording to suit your own personal style but it gives you an idea of what to say. I would then suggest you wait to see what the response is and come back to this thread if you need further advice.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X