• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Some advice please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice please.

Hi everyone.

i am currently employed, and have been for the past 8 months now.

However i have some underlying health issues which can/have affected my work so for the past two months i have been off sick.

The doctors have given me 4 weeks each time as they’re aware of my illnesses.

I made my employer aware of my illnesses upon starting and have always been transparent.

I was told by a colleague of mine to fill in a form for a new chair for my desk which i did however things have deteriorated since then.

I don’t think I’ll be returning to work anytime soon, what options do i have? I get sick paid in full for 6 months after then it’s half pay.

Can they sack me?

One of my illnesses is related to my neurological system and my other illness is related to my nervous system.

Any help/advice would be really welcome.

Thanks.

Tags: None

Hi Pleasehelp

It is 'unlikely' that they would sack you, but clearly they will want you to return to work as soon as possible. They will look at ways that will help you return to work. They might seek guidance from 'Occupational Health', i.e. you could initially reduce your hours, do something less demanding etc.

ULA

Comment

Is this illness a continuation of your condition that your previous thread on LegalBeagles was about, linked to below?

Please Help! - LegalBeagles Forum

Other than your colleague telling you to fill in a form for a new chair, did your employer asked if there were any other reasonable adjustments that needed to be made for you, once you let them know about you illness?

It sounds like it but do you consider that your condition is considered a disability under the Equality Act 2010 and did you tell your employer this?

Ideally as echat11 has said your employer would want to see you returning to work and may request you give consent to obtaining medical reports from your Dr/Consultant and/or attending an Occupational Health (OH) appointment. Any suggestions from either of these sources for options on making reasonable adjustment to enable you to return to work need to be considered by your employer. If they do not want to make the reasonable adjustments then they will need to justify why not.

Ultimately, if you remain off sick and there is no likelihood of your returning to work, even if reasonable adjustments can be made, then yes your employer can dismiss you, however they would need to follow a fair and reasonable process and prove that they have done everything possible to accommodate a return to work.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks so much, both my illnesses are classed as disabilities.

They advised the independent health and safety person would determine my fitness for work is that correct?

Comment

It would depend on what health and safety implications are for the condition you have and what type of job that you do. I would suggest that you speak to your employer about also getting an Occupational Health report.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X