• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Public sector sex & maternity discrimination?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public sector sex & maternity discrimination?

Good Afternoon, I'm new to the forum and would be grateful for some guidance regarding my wife's situation with her employer please. All responses are gratefully received.

My wife works for the NHS as a non-clinical Band 6 employee in a team of 7 people. She has been employed by the trust since October 2018. She took maternity leave from Sept 2020 to March 2021, and is due on maternity leave again on 19th May. This issue has many moving parts so I will try to summarise as concisely as possible.

In Sept 2020 my wife went on maternity leave, and returned to work in February 2021 on a part time basis (3 days per week pro-rata). On her return to work, it became apparent that her maternity cover was being paid more than her, despite being less qualified and having no prior NHS experience. On her first day back, her line manager, Mike (not his real name), informed her that she would be 'taking on a new role', and asked her to send her work phone back (she works remotely). He informed her that her maternity cover would be staying on in my wife's old role. My wife got off the phone and discussed this with me, and I suggested she call him back and make it clear that that would not be happening as pregnancy is a protected characteristic. She did, and Mike agreed that she could keep her old role.

All her colleagues that do the same job as her are male, and all are paid as Band 7 employees. Their has been a historical imbalance in the banding of the role and each of these colleagues had to petition their manager to be re-banded. Each was successful and received back-pay to the date that they entered the role. No job descriptions exist for either Band 6 or Band 7.

My wife made an enquiry about her banding in March 2021, to Mike, his manager and HR. She requested Band 6 & 7 job descriptions, along with advice on exactly what she needed to do to be re-banded at Level 7. She did not receive any response other than some obfuscating emails about a 'restructuring process', despite multiple subsequent enquiries. After liaising with her Unison rep, she filed a formal grievance in Sept 2021. Her grievance requested that she be re-banded to Level 7 and receive backpay to Sept 2019 (the date she took on her role).

The grievance was investigated and went to a level 2 appeal. There are 3 levels of appeal, the 3rd being at board level. Her grievance was upheld at the level 2 appeal, which occurred in Jan 2022. The resolutions from the grievance have still not been implemented. It was found at this appeal that both Mike and his Line Manager had provided misleading and fabricated documents to the initial investigation (this is detailed in the outcome letter my wife received). As there is unambiguous wrongdoing here, it makes sense that the trust may want to deal with this 'in-house' as opposed to escalating to a level 3 appeal, where these wrongdoings would be illuminated, opening the door to potential misconduct proceedings.

Prior to the grievance going through the appeal process, Mike's only knowledge of it would have been that the grievance was initially unsuccessful. During this time (Jan 2022), he facilitated a work development meeting with my wife where he stated that if she wanted to be a Level 7 she would have to realise that her actions have consequences, and then gave an example about her giving some incorrect data to a request. The example he gave was from May 2021, and he had never previously brought this issue up with her. He stated that 'all hell broke loose' and that the trust 'blew a gasket'. My wife, having no prior knowledge regarding this, was obviously concerned, and reached out to the party involved to clarify her mistake. She was informed that in actual fact it was a minor mistake and was no issue at all. This was an obvious and deliberate attempt by her Line Manager to gaslight her. She emailed him to state that she no longer felt comfortable speaking with him on a one-to-one basis other than by email. He did not respond for 2 weeks, and even then only to state that he was seeking HR advice. She also filed a bullying and harassment complaint against him.

The bullying and harassment complaint was investigated, but Mike refused to answer any questions and hid behind the veil of the fact that he works for a different trust, so doesn't come under the jurisdiction of the investigating trust. There has been no update since then. My wife was appointed a different Line Manager at her specific request. Mike has since been signed off with stress and my wife has been informed that his return to work date is 20th May, the day after she begins maternity leave.

On 23 March 2022, my wife had a meeting with her Unison rep, her Senior Line Manager (Julie, not her real name) and the HR Director. In this meeting she was expecting to be informed that the resolutions from her grievance would be actioned, but was instead told that if she sent through a job description of her role, they would send it to the job matching panel and she would be re-banded at the level that the panel determined. My wife had been asking for this exact action to take place since June 2021. The following week, she sent through her job description, but faced a wave of emails asking her to evidence each part of the job description. None of her colleagues had to do this. Regardless, she was able to evidence each part of the job description, yet Julie has still not sent the job description to the job matching panel. She has a meeting with the same people on the 17th May, which she has asked for an agenda for. Everyone involved is aware that she starts maternity leave on 19th May, but it appears that they are deliberately stalling the process.

If the resolutions from the level 2 appeal are not upheld, the next formal escalation would be for a level 3 (board of directors) appeal. My wife has stated to Julie that if the meeting on the 17th does not materialise resolutions then she will be escalating to the next process, in order to ensure that all official avenues are exhausted. At face value it appears that after the level 2 appeal, her senior line management opened the informal route with her in order to prevent escalation to a level 3 appeal. This appears to be to buy time before she goes on maternity leave. My wife's belief is that they think she will be too exhausted whilst on maternity leave to continue to fight it.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this. In my (biased) mind this would present as clear maternity and sex discrimination, but I would be grateful to know if there is an actionable case here from a legal perspective?
    Tags: None

Having had to time to digest the detailed post, which is helpful, my comments are:

1. The maternity issue happened when your wife returned to work in Feb 2021, however although she had to push back she was returned to her old role.

2. Where there is a bigger issue is over the potentialy discriminatory treatment your wife has received in regard to her job, its banding level compared to those of her colleagues who, you appear to confirm, are all male and have been rebanded in a grade above.

3. I have never worked in the NHS but I get the feeling the "wheels turn slowly". However, given that the outcome of her level 2 appeal was to uphold her grievance that she be placed on the level 7 band back in Jan, I am perplexed as to why she is having to go through, what appears to be extra hoops in have to evidence aspects of her job description.

4. My suggestion would be that, if there is not a satisfactory resolution following the meeting on 17th, she gives serious consideration to starting the stage 3 appeal process. I presume she is within any time limit that may be in place for moving from the outcome of stage 2 to processing with the stage 3 appeal. Given your wife has involved the Union already I would also suggests she speaks to them about supporting this next action.

5. I am suggesting point 4 on the basis that if the level 3 appeal does not result in the level 2 outcome being enforced, your wife would have a stronger case if she decided to pursue a claim i.e. she can prove that she had done everything she could via internal processes before having to make an employment tribunal claim.

I hope this is helpful for your wife but please come back to this thread if there are any further questions now or later on down the process.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

ULA, Thanks for taking the time to read through and get back to me, it's greatly appreciated. We thought this would be the case- as frustrating as it is all official channels have to be exhausted prior to starting civil proceedings. My wife has now advised that if resolutions are not in place prior to her maternity leave she will be starting a level 3 appeal.

Comment

I wish your wife well with the appeal and hope that this issue is resolved.

However please bookmark this thread and if she has any further questions or needs another avenue for advice please just come back to this thread, it will be easier to have this background information that for a new thread to be started.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X