• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

New P/T days now M/T/W what happens on Bank Hol Mondays?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New P/T days now M/T/W what happens on Bank Hol Mondays?

Hi
    Been working for a major company for 8 years and about 2 years ago asked (because I now get my pension) if I could drop from 5 days a week to 3 (tues wed thurs) which they agreed.
    I was recently asked by my boss if I would help him out and change my working days to mon tues and weds, because he felt that he would be better advertising a 2 day job for thurs fridays instead of mons and Fridays.
    I said OK and my new days started the beginning of this week of which Monday was a Bank Holiday.
    Our company shuts on Bank Holidays.
    One of my colleagues today said to me "you know any Bank Hols that fall on your Monday work days will have to be taken as part of your annual leave"?
    Anyone working 5 days a week this doesn't happen to.
    When I was called in by my boss recently and he asked if I would change my days, he never mentioned any of this and if he had done I would've said "thanks but no thanks".
    So in essence looking online it appears employers have to be very careful with p/t employees regarding things like this?
    There seems to be a directive 'Part Time Worker Regulations 2000 which protects p/t workers from being treated less favourably than their full-time colleagues.

Anyone with knowledge of this part of employment law your advice would be appreciated and how I should state my case tomorrow. Thankyou
    Tags: None

Firstly can you confirm if you were a full time employee what would your holiday be, is it the statutory of 5.6 weeks i.e. 20 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays or does the company give more than 20 days statutory holiday, if so what is the number of days that full time staff get.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

The first one Ulaanbaatar + any extra days for longer service

Comment

Sorry I typed Ula and it came out like that

Comment

Given your service of 8 years would this qualify for extra holiday for longer service if you were full time? If so what would the number of days excluding Bank Holidays be?
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I believe part time (3 days) it is 16.8 days + 1 day for length of service, if it makes any difference it is given as hours.
            and if I was still full time, it was 2 weeks (10) days summer and 2 weeks (10) days winter + 1 day.
            I think the main thing for me Ula was the fact that I wasn't told this would happen when I was asked to do them a favour and change my 2 days off. If I was informed that this would be the case I would've said " thanks but no thanks"
            and the fact that it doesn't happen to full timers.

Thankyou for your considerations, appreciated.

Comment

Just had a message from HR
              she said that he has not explained it to me very well at all.
              My bank holidays are calculated for part time staff based on days worked etc, so if there are for example 5 Bank Holiday Mondays and 2 Fridays (I'm off fridays anyway) I may only be entitled to 3 or 4 of those Bank Hol Mondays and the other 1 or 2 i'd have to take out of my annual leave?
              Hope that makes sense?
              How many Bank Hol Mondays would you say I'd be entitled to based on my 3 days a week?
              Your advice is appreciated Ula.

Comment

Sorry dgs not to get back sooner to you.

As the company have worked it, the statutory holiday entitlement is 28 days (or 5.6 weeks) which includes the bank holiday i.e. 20 + 8 (annual public holidays). This pro-rated for a 3 day week is 28 / 5 *3 = 16.8 days, so I understand their logic.

As you point out though most of the UK bank holidays fall on a Monday or Friday. In companies that give paid bank holidays, and where part-time employees do not usually work on these days, those part-time employees would end up receiving proportionately fewer days' leave than their full-time colleagues.

To prevent this inequality, many companies give their part-time employees a pro-rated bank holiday allowance. This is calculated based on the number of hours worked, regardless of the days that are worked and irrespective of whether or not they would be bank holidays.

In this case your holiday entitlement would be calculated as:

20 days statutory holiday /5 * 3 = 15
                8 bank holidays / 5 * 3 = 4.8
                Giving your a holiday entitlement of 19.8 days in total which would include any bank holiday days.

Hope that makes sense and it may be something you can go back and speak to your HR department about doing in your case if you think that is a fairer way of dealing with Bank Holidays in your case.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X