• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Manager shared medical information with colleague

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager shared medical information with colleague

Hi, I am currently looking for advice and guidance as I have found myself in a situation that I have never experienced before.

I recently found out I was pregnant and unfortunately suffered a miscarriage which left me having to take a sick day at work. Due to this and the fact I felt I had a good relationship with my manager, I did inform her that the reason for me being unwell was due to the fact that I had suffered a miscarriage. I did not think that telling her this would then lead to my confidentiality being breached and her disclosing this to a colleague.

This was found out as I disclosed to my colleague how upset I was and how I had miscarried, my colleague responded that she was aware that I had and when exploring this further and asked her who had informed her of this (as I hadn't and had not provided consent to do so either), my colleague had advised that it was manager. Understandably I became upset and left the building extremely emotional (I also have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and undergoing other assessments) and impacted on my mental health a lot when I found out.

On my return to the building, my colleague had informed me that she had reported to my manager that I was aware she had disclosed this information, and how unhappy I was, and my managers response was that she thought everyone knew. My manager did not pull me to the side to discuss this, nor did she apologise directly to me and was brushed under the carpet.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time my manager has done this, and has discussed other employees to myself also around sensitive safeguarding concerns around a colleague who had left our service.

I have contacted the ISO who provided me guidance around having to go through my employer first and gave me a guided letter that I could use within notifying my employer (HR) of my concerns around this Data Protection breach.

This has impacted massively on my mental health and physical health as due to the worry and stress of it all i go into work daily with a headache at present which i didnt prior to this incident.

I am massively concerned around what other information this manager may or may not have disclosed, but due to how forthcoming she is with sensitive information, and as a result feel that I now have no other support and that she may be sided with.

Any guidance around whether what this manager has done is a data breach and if I have gone around this the right way.
    Tags: None

Hi Pug

I'm sorry that you had a miscarriage.

I think you mean the ICO. I think in some circumstances it is justified (I'm not saying that is the case in your circumstances, I think your manager should and could have gained your consent before telling others).

The manager might have wanted to make sure that your colleagues could keep 'a look out' for your welfare.

Sometime ago I started work at a new location, a colleague's lunch time meal was McDonald's every day for years, built like a fridge. He'd had 'health issues' everyone who worked there knew about his 'health issues' except me. Had I known I could of managed his workload differently. I went into work one day, only to be told he had a 'heart attack'. He was o.k. after being in hospital for a couple of weeks.

Not great, I was very annoyed.

ULA

Comment

Can you confirm whether you have used the letter provided by the ICO and sent that to the HR department?
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X