• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Advice required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice required

Hi All, recently I decided to resign from my current employer and I handover my resignation with a notice period of 1 month as per my employment contract. My line manager and HR mailed me back that they have acknowledged my resignation along with a thank you letter for my service. In good faith, during a call, I advised them that I’m joining a competitor and since that time their behavior changed 100%. Later same day, they have asked me to come at the office in order to deliver company’s properties laptop, mobiles, etc and during that time they asked me to attend a meeting with company’s solicitor to advise me that has come to their attention that contrary to company’s policies I’ve downloaded and forwarded to my personal email address company’s files and information. As I didn’t expect it, I stressed and admitted that it was a stupid action without to think over the consequences. I did it but without any intention to harm company’s interest or for personal or professional gain. They requested all files to be irretrievably deleted and I consented to do so in front of them so they witnessed the deletion of these files. They handover me a letter to solemnly declare that all files permanently deleted, never shared with any 3rd parties, or copied/printed etc.

My question is, what the consequences of this stupid action? Can they make a claim? And as they have realized that I’m joining a competitor, can they force me now to sign a non-compete clause or to raise any restrictive covenants especially after my resignation has been accepted/acknowledged? To mention, that there is no such clause in my employment agreement.
    Tags: None

Hi THEO45

I don't think they can make a claim, they would need prove that your actions has directly lead to some sort of loss to the company.

As soon as you mentioned a competitor, it raised alarm bells so they looked at your activity.
    When were the files downloaded to your personal email account? six months ago, a month ago?

Could the following have benefited the competitor, your future employer (we don't know what's on the files)?
    If the competitor has that information then you could be in trouble.

'I’ve downloaded and forwarded to my personal email address company’s files and information.'

It's clearly breaches company rules, so is a disciplinary matter.

Ula is the resident expert in these matters, no doubt will advise.

Comment

ULA may be advise also

Comment

Tnx ECHAT11,

Most of these files (contacts, contracts) were in laptop for months/years as I dealt with them on daily basis, few were downloaded last month before my decision to join the competitor. During the last days, when I decided it’s time to say goodbye, I sent some of them along with all my personal files to my email account. Anyway, stupid action and regret it, but no one else have seen these files and as I said all permanently deleted and cannot be retrieved.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo45 View Post
          Tnx ECHAT11,

Most of these files (contacts, contracts) were in laptop for months/years as I dealt with them on daily basis, few were downloaded last month before my decision to join the competitor. During the last days, when I decided it’s time to say goodbye, I sent some of them along with all my personal files to my email account. Anyway, stupid action and regret it, but no one else have seen these files and as I said all permanently deleted and cannot be retrieved.
          I suppose there is a defence in there, 'as I dealt with them on daily basis'. I think you need to wait and see what they do, then take it from there. Clearly they won't want you to 'transact' any business with their existing clients for your new employer. It's good that nobody else has seen these files.

Comment

Sorry to be direct but it was fine for the information to be held on your work laptop 'as I dealt with them on daily basis' unfortunately there is no defence for the information to have been sent to your own email account.

Given that you have signed a letter declaring that the company information you sent to your personal account has been deleted and will not be shared, printed etc. that will hopefully be the end of the matter. The issue will be if you have not complied or your ex-employer has any reason to believe that you have not.

If there was no restrictive convenant/non-compete clause in your contract of employment and you are going to a competitor it would be pointless them asking you to sign one now. However, if there was a confidentiality clause in your contract then you will need to ensure that you abide by that and ensure you do not divulge any information about your ex-employer to your prospective employer.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X