• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Letter of concern

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter of concern

I've been advised by my line manager i am going to receive a letter of concern for my attendance.
    I have 4 dates given to me that have been recorded as absence.
    our attendance policy states 3 or more absences will warrant a letter of concern.
    however my absences were one relating to covid and my daughter being positive so we had to self isolate and also look after her as she is too young to look after herself. So this is classed as time off for dependants.
    the other 2 occasions are also time off for dependants with my 2 year old being ill and unable to attend nursery. I have challenged this with my manager and been advised by HR that the policy for covid related illness cannot be used against me for my attendance record and time off for dependants cannot be used either. My manager got very defensive and has now called for a meeting with another 2 managers. Do i need to be concerned?? I feel if my attendance is only at level one and not warranting a letter of concern then i am entitled to challenge these to keep it off my record?
    Tags: None

Hi JWEBSTER

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. I think your manager is on one of those 'face saving' exercises. Because essentially they have been proven wrong (HR backing your position). The manager is trying to 'double down' (two managers) to show whose boss, instead of apologizing to you and saying they got it wrong. It makes sense to take a colleague with you for support and take notes.

Someone with more experience can advise further.
    ULA

Comment

have you spoken to HR about the letter of concern and the meeting that has now been called with the manager plus 2 others? That may be the first thing to do as I would have thought they should be providing advise to the manager on this situation.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I haven't spoken with HR since being told I will have a meeting in a weeks time to discuss this with 2 manager. I dont see the need for the meeting to be honest when I've shown ive had only 1 ascbence in 12 months. I've I've just seen I've had over 100 hours deducted from my pay this month due to doctors sick notes and I was advised before going off I am entitled to company sick pay which is full pay.

Comment

I would suggest that it may be an option to speak to HR prior to your meeting next week.

Does your one absence in the last 12 months relate to the absence for which you have had pay deducted?

Who advised you were entitled to company sick pay, was this confirmed in writing and is this in accordance with any company sick pay policy?
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Yes it is in the attendance policy that you accrue one week company sick pay per year. So as i have worked for this business for 5 years I have accrued 5 weeks worth or sickness that I'm entitled to receive company sick pay for. I have now used all 5 weeks.
            one of the absences is in relation to my recent absence of 4 weeks. And one other absence. So in total I have had 2 abscences in the last 12 months. Which puts me at a level 1/2 that doesn't warrant a letter of concern.
            level 3 is the letter of concern which I've been advised by HR I am not on. My line manager has admitted not following policy but hasn't realised she has got ot wrong until I've pointed it out and now she's defensive. I will contact HR again and ask them before this meeting.
            And yes the one absence I've just had has been deducted from my wages. However I was advised when I went off that I am entitled to 5 weeks full pay. And once I have used that company sick pay I would have to wait another 12 months to accrue another week. And I was off again before rhe 12 months renews I would only get statutory sick pay

Comment

I would just say that my intepretation of "you accrue one week company sick pay per year", means that in any one year you accrue one weeks pay for any sickness absence as it does not say you accrue one week company sick pay per year of service. However without full sight of the policy it is hard to be sure.

Maybe whilst you are contacting HR it would be worth quering your absence pay based on the understanding that you had accrued 5 weeks company sick pay and that your recent sickness absence would be covered. i presume your other absence was for a period of no more than a week.

Comment

Yes you accrue one week company sick pay for each year of service. I have accrued 5 weeks company sick pay and only used 4 weeks of this recently. All of which have been deducted from my salary. I will give HR another call tomorrow to discuss this. I am highly stressed out about it all. Its a very toxic work environment with dual standards.

Comment

I can appreciate that you are feeling quite stressed about the situation.

Thanks for clarifying that it is one week per year of service for company sick pay.

See how your conversation goes with HR, hopefully it will help to sort things out. If you do need any further advice after that, then just come back to this thread.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X