• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Flexible working contract issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible working contract issues

Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, I'm hoping you can help me.

My employer asked me to sign a flexible working contract a few months ago. I was very anxious about returning to work but agreed to 1 day a week in the office. I didn't want to do this but tried to put my anxiety aside and I was in a better state of mind then so thought I could possibly handle it. (I've been working from home for over a year now and this has been better for my mental health).

They then put us all at risk of redundancy which lasted 45 days. During this time my mental health took a nose dive and it has really affected me. Most of my team have also left due to the pressure and another has been made redundant, leaving only 2 people and myself on the team.

Now the redundancy period is over, my job is safe. However, my feelings about returning to the office have completely changed. 1. My anxiety is much worse so the thought of returning is exacerbated by the anxiety. 2. I don't really have a team to return to and during the discussion of the flexible working contract, the main reason given by my employer was that we would need to return to keep a team environment.

Do I have a leg to stand on now that I've signed the contract? I feel like I was tricked into agreeing to something when I was in a different state of mind and hadn't gone through the difficulties of the redundancy process.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Tags: None

If it is not too long can you anonymise and post up the flexible working contract you signed?

If not can you post up the clause/s that relate to the arrangements for your flexible working and if there are any clause/s relatating to this being reviewed or for a specific period of time.

Thank you.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hello thank you very much for your reply!

The contract is too long to post fully sorry but I've picked out the things that may be of interest:

'The colleague should: understand that the ability to work from home may change, reduce or be withdrawn entirely due to operational needs, with minimal or no notice and structure their domestic routines accordingly.'

'Home working is not a contractual right and the company reserves the right to discontinue homeworking if it no longer meets operational requirements'

They identify 3 types of role which are 'out of scope for homeworking, home-based, has the potential for am element of home working' and says the categories will be reviewed on an annual basis. (I'm the 3rd category).

In terms of the actual agreement itself it just says it will be reviewed regularly rather than a set timescale.

Thank you for your help

Comment

Unfortunately the contract that you signed is very clear that the bility to work from home can be changed or taken away entirely.

With you and 2 other people, that does effectively create a team and potential after the situation of a redundancy process the company is probably keen to create a productive working environment for the "new team".

If you are category 3, I presume this is "has the potential for am element of home working" Is the company asking you to work full time in the office or are they asking you to return for a certain number of days per week?
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Ah I thought as much! They only asked for our preference so I said 1 day per week in the office but it could be more depending on what they decide.

Thanks for your help anyway and your swift replies!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X