• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employment terminated as not accepted from full time to zero hours - Advice Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment terminated as not accepted from full time to zero hours - Advice Needed

Hello,
    I am helping my father in law to build up the case against employee for employment tribunal.
    Quick brief what happened:
    Employer business (more than 4000 employers) is in hospitality and they have been affected by Covid as the bookings reduced drastically.

Last summer they have sent out the letter asking most employees on site to move to zero hours contract including my father in law working full time.

Very short period was given to make up decision to accept the move (10 days) and the move would have happened within 30 days.

There was no public consultation nor it was explained on what it means to employees at the time (i.e. holidays, pensions, term of employment etc).

Most of the colleagues have accepted the terms. I believe this happened due to the pressure of time and lack of consultation and language barrier (most employees paid minimum wage and their first language is not English).

Father in law (10 year service in company with not a single disciplinary or grievance) have not accepted the change in contract and asked to look into alternative options. There were few letters were sent at the time including a letter informing termination of contract with notice and reemployment straight away with new terms of contract by employer.

Eventually there was an appeal meeting held and the outcome was still the same accept conditions or we will terminate contract. We even asked them to consider reducing the contract hours as an alternative but they have not accepted.
    When asked whether there will be redundancy pay they claimed that it was not redundancy situation.

The contract was terminated by them and we have put the early conciliation with ACAS which did not produce any agreement as they were claiming that it was not redundancy situation. When we spoke to ACAS they said that the change in contract is substantial and itself can be constituted as redundancy as there are no guaranteed hours in the future.

We have submitted claim to employment tribunal and will have hearing later this year. Currently in the stage of drafting witness statements.

I would like to gain your opinions on whether employer can still hold some grounds in employment tribunal and also what we should consider as a point of defence.

Prompt reply appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by komodo; 21st February 2021, 08:08:AM.
    Tags: None

Can you confirm what the claim is for that has been submitted to the employment tribunal.

I am not sure what you mean by “what we should consider as a point of defence.” It is your father-in-law that is making the claim he is not defending a claim. The point of the witness statement is to set out in chronological order the sequence of events that have led to him making the claim, giving the reasons that he believes it to be a valid claim supported by employment law and any relevant cases that may be appropriate.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X