• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Workplace Performance ‘Issues’

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workplace Performance ‘Issues’

Good morning, a plea for advice.....

My Wife has worked for her employer (very large company) for more than 10 years. Recently there has been a lot of talk of ‘raising the bar’ and improvement etc. in general terms in team meetings and the like.

She has never had any previous performance issues but has, somewhat out of the blue, been told that she needs to go on a formal performance plan and has been told, in writing, ‘you’re the weakest in the team.’ This is despite recently having had a half year review (the company’s performance year is April to March) that she prepared for diligently, produced materials etc. but with her line manager stating ‘I don’t want to look backwards.’ The line manager spoke at that meeting more about the general ‘raising of the bar.’ The news about the performance plan was conveyed in a 10 minute off-spec call.

A few questions if I may to aid my understanding of the situation?

I presume that if the last annual review was fine then the period of time open for debate is from April this year forward only?

During this year she has had to have time off in July for a couple of weeks for illness that was recorded with the Doctor. Additionally, she has had an operation that meant she was off work for the whole of September and half of October. It was the type of operation only a female can have and was preceded by a long period of time where she was in significant pain and discomfort. When she returned to work in mid October the line manager did not make contact for several weeks. Admittedly for one week my Wife was back on pre-arranged leave, however, at no stage was a back to work meeting held or plan formulated.

When you add in 3 more weeks leave since April too, she has clearly been away from the workplace for significant amounts of time this year on fully authorised and appropriate absence. My Wife isn’t a fan of her line manager and has worked on the premise that ‘no news is good news’ and doesn’t initiate contact with her if she can avoid it.

Where do you think she stands here? Frankly speaking she would jump if they made the sort of offer you would expect for 13 years service. She is worried that they are trying to remove her without any compensation. Is this possible?

Finally I would add that she is only 1 of 2 part time employees in a team of 12. She has been working from home permanently since the first lockdown and, again, she is only 1 of 2 employees in the team who had to contribute to the home schooling of children. The overwhelming majority of the time she has been at work since April has been during the period where schools were closed.

I’d be grateful if anyone could offer any help or suggestions with this. Obviously we are both upset at the way she has been treated and think that, morally, it is very, very poor. Whilst neither of us are well versed in Employment Law I think we both recognise that morals and the law are not particularly relevant to each other.

Thanks for reading

Tags: None

It sounds like in terms of the company they have been very clearly setting out expectations of improving performance/standards across the business, which often happens when a company is facing either a difficult time, making some form of transition or responding to market demands and given the impact of COVID on many businesses this is unsurprising.

It sounds like your wife has had a difficult few months with her health which is hopefully now resolved and with children back at school again the burden of home schooling should be much reduced.

What is seems may happen, given what you have said is that there will be a performance plan which should have objectives/targets, timescales for achievement, how they are expected to be achieved i.e. what does successful completion of the objective look like and whether your wife needs any support to achieve these such as extra training. The idea of a performance plan would be to use this as a way to have staff work towards achieving the "new standards and required improvements".

There is nothing legally wrong in a company doing this, however it will the process and the ultimate outcome, where if they do not handle it correctly, they could come "unstuck" legally.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X