• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Holiday Pay Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Pay Query

Hi, would someone be able to advise on this situation please and give some advice? I’m assuming the situation my partner is in with his employer is wrong, because my company pays hourly workers an average for their holidays rather than their basic hours (they do a lot of overtime).

My partner is a class 2 driver. He’s contracted to 45 hours a week at a rate of £9 per hour, plus £1 per hour attendance bonus. He earns £1 per load bonus (approx £20 / 20loads per week) plus £50 per week bonus for maintenance duties. He also works most Saturdays for 4 hours at time & half.

When my partner takes his annual leave, he is paid 9 hours at £9 per hour for each day he is off. He’s been paid like this for 5 years for every holiday and thinks it’s correct and how he should be paid for annual leave. He’s asked his office manager who’s told him that this is correct and he’s not titled to have any bonuses and overtime taken into account on the calculation of holiday pay.

my employer take all income whether it be bonus or over time into account and calculates holiday pay on this income. I can’t understand why his is just basic. His boss adds all these bonuses to bump up the hourly rate To keep the staff but really he just earns £9 an hour and is paid £9 per hour for the basic hours when on annual leave

thank you in advance
    Tags: None

Is this any help?

Comment

Thanks.

I’ve looked at that page, his office manager has said he’s fixed hours. So that’s why they don’t have to pay him an average? This is what’s confusing us.

I work for a transport company similiar to his, all class 1 and class 2 drivers. And they are paid holiday as ‘shift workers’ according to that table

Comment

I’ve just found this on ACAS. So he should be paid taking his bonus and overtime into account.

if he raises a grievance in writing about this. Would he be able to claim back all the under payments from his entire employment with the company?

Comment

This is correct case law has confirmed that regular overtime / commissions/ bonuses paid to employees needs to be included in holiday pay calculations as related to the first 4 weeks of worker's holiday period (i.e. 20 days).

There is a limitation on how far back your husband can reclaim as follows:
          • The limitation period for bringing claims for underpaid holiday is three months. This means three months from the last underpayment where there was a series of underpayments.
          • The claim can only be backdated to include all deductions up to two years (from the date the claim is made), even if the underpaid dates go beyond this, provided the series is not broken.
          • A series of deductions will be broken if there is a gap of three months or more between deductions. Once this happens, claims for deductions made before that gap cannot be claimed for.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you so much.

Could you offer some advice on how to approach this with his boss?

its a smallish firm and not very reputable

i expect one he shows evidence his boss will stop the bonuses

Comment

I would suggest that he just arranges to meet with his boss and just have an informal chat in the first instance and see what the outcome of that is before doing anything more formal.

If you need any further help just come back to this thread.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you for your help so far. My partner has spoken to his boss, and in a nutshell this is the development so far:-

he’s asked him not to disclose this information to his colleagues about the holiday pay

hes told him the law changed in April this year and he’s only eligible for the holiday pay back paid from April, but it’s based on an average of the first 12 weeks from April 2020

hes told him if he has to back pay him then he will have to look at changing his contract to a zero hours contract ( he’s been employed on the same contract full time for 5 years) and also stop his bonuses

Comment

Think your husband's employer has got that a bit backward. The reference period from 6 April 2020 for calculating holiday pay for variable hours workers increased from 12 to 52 weeks. Plus the information I gave at #5 in regard to reclaiming has not changed as far as I am aware.

Unfortunately also for your hubands boss he cannot unilaterally change his contract he would have to consult with your husband about this. Although If the employer has given reasonable and due consideration to objections and alternative suggestions that your husband put forward, but deem those suggestions to be unworkable, then the employer could terminate the original contract and offer a new one in its place such as a zero hours one.

Ultimately it "boils down" to how hard you husband wants to push this and maybe with him setting his employer right on the legal facts he may have stronger hand to at least agree a compromise and still keep his current contract.

Comment

Thank you.

he wants to raise this formally and put it in writing but I have no idea where to start in regards to referencing the working time directive.

i briefly spoke with my HR department and they advised the exact same as you have

Comment

The WTR under section 13 (2)(c) allows for leave of 4 weeks. This means that any regular payments of overtime, commisson and bonuse should be included as part of the calculation for holiday pay covering these 4 weeks. However if more holiday is given than the 4 weeks these payments do not need to be included. Link to the relevant section below

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...lation/13/made

Hope that helps make and you can use this for your wording

Comment

Ula Thank you for your advice

I wrote a letter for him last night, and he was paid 2 years back pay in his wages to be paid tomorrow

Comment

Hopefully your husband is pleased with the outcome and I presume without any need to changing his contract going forward.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X