• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Job offer withdrawn due to insufficient detail in references

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job offer withdrawn due to insufficient detail in references

Hi all. First post here, but cant seem to find the info I am after anywhere else.

A month ago, I was offered pretty much my dream job - Child Safeguarding Coordinator for a network of GP Surgeries.

The basic story to present is as follows:

- I applied for a job as a Safeguarding Coordinator, which I was offered on 23rd October after 2 detailed interviews.
    - The HR Officer in charge of my appointment was absent due to Coronavirus isolation, but I completed the pre-employment check forms, scanned them in and e-mailed them to her. I visited the office on 3rd November to drop all my ID paperwork (Passport, etc) off.
    - I was cleared by the Occupational Health Team on 15th November and I received my Enhanced DBS on 18th November.
    - On 23rd November, I received a "By 9AM" letter from the head of HR explaining that my pre-employment checks were unsatisfactory, and the offer of employment was being withdrawn. I e-mailed/phoned straight away, but was told I would be contacted by letter. In the meantime, I noticed the job had been re-advertised. When I queried this, they removed the advert immediately.
    - Eventually, I received an e-mail from the head of HR today saying that the offer was withdrawn due to insufficient information (other than standard dates, etc) received in the references, and that they needed more detail due to the Safeguarding matter of the role.
    - I contacted my previous line manager (NHS) and another line manager (4.5 years from a Youth Work job working with vulnerable young adults), who agreed to provide a more thorough reference if requested.
    - I informed the Head of HR that this would be an option to resolve matters, as many organisations only use a standard template when responding to reference requests. I provided her with their contact details.
    - She informed me that the matter was considered closed.
    - Within 30mins of that e-mail, they re-advertised the job.

Is there anything I can do regarding this? I find it incredibly unfair that I have had a job offer withdrawn through no fault of my own, let alone when I have provided them with recourse to gather the information needed. I turned down 2 other roles to accept this one, so I am now back to square one of the job hunting game.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Al
    Tags: None

Was the job offer in writing or verbal and was it subject to satisfactory references?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi ULA, thanks for the response.
      The conditional letter of employment was sent via email and post, and satisfactory references was part of those conditions.

However, if past employers only reply using the standard dates/role response, is it fair for them to withdraw the offer before asking for further information? I arranged for the option of the HR manager to be able to this by contacting my references for more info, but she refused.

Comment

It is not unusual for ex-employers just to provide references that are statement of facts, that may be their policy.

If your prospective employer has sent a reference request that is requiring more detail which is not provided and given the nature of the role they may have to be particularly sensitive to ensuring they have all the necessary checks documented before they employ someone. Hence the reason being that the offer was subject to satisfactory references.

I appreciate that you provided the HR manager with alternative routes to get the information, who for some reason has decided not to pursue this but I am not sure what else you can do.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X