• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Gross Misconduct, suspended pending investigation. Need advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gross Misconduct, suspended pending investigation. Need advice.

Hello,

I am a nervous wreck. I work in a food retailer and have done so for the past 4 years. I am currently suspended whilst the company investigates claims of taking products without payment.

I have to admit that sometimes on my break I would take things with the full intention of paying for them at the end of the shift, I would usually be on the closing shift. I would genuinely forget, but I would pay for the items the following day, on occasion though I would forget all together and items did go without payment, a lot of people did this. I understand that it is stupid of me and I am not trying to justify it.

I am extremely anxious, I don't know what the price of the items unpaid for is, I am not sure the extent as I cannot remember so many years back. My main worry is that I will be facing criminal charges, and that I will end up with a criminal record. I am pretty sure that I will lose the job, which is understandable and I am willing to pay for the total sum of items unpaid for, I have a meeting on Thursday to discuss the investigation, it will have to be over video call, however.

I understand I have made a silly mistake but sometimes when you are working and have a lot to do you forget things, I am not trying to make excuses but rather trying to give an insight to why I forgot to pay for what I had sometimes. I don't know what to do, I am in constant worry all day and it's taking a toll on my mental and physical health.

Thanks all.
    Tags: None

I know it is really hard and that you are feeling really anxious. It may help if you understand a bit more about the process you are currently in and which the company will be going through. At the moment the company is undertaking an investigation, they have not made any decision about whether to take any disciplainary action. The meeting on Thurs is for them to find out from your answers to questions they will be wanting to raise about the incidents of taking products without paying. What it may help you to do between now and then is to try and think back over the recent months (I doubt they will not be going back years as they would have already discussed this with you before now) as to when you may have taken food, did you pay for it immediately or the next day. This may at least then mean you have some answers if they are asking about specific times when they believe items were taken without being paid for.

It is only once they have carried out an investigation that they will decide what, if any, disciplinary action to take. At that point you should be formally invited to a disciplinary meeting at which you should be given the right to be accompanied, details of all the allegations and any documentary evidence the company is relying in should be given to you so you can prepare your defence for the meeting and you should be given an indiciation of what disciplinary action may be taken.

I hope that helps with knowing what the process is. If you have anything further to ask then please just come back to this thread. Maybe over the next few days try and do things that can take your mind away from this even for a little while.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      I know it is really hard and that you are feeling really anxious. It may help if you understand a bit more about the process you are currently in and which the company will be going through. At the moment the company is undertaking an investigation, they have not made any decision about whether to take any disciplainary action. The meeting on Thurs is for them to find out from your answers to questions they will be wanting to raise about the incidents of taking products without paying. What it may help you to do between now and then is to try and think back over the recent months (I doubt they will not be going back years as they would have already discussed this with you before now) as to when you may have taken food, did you pay for it immediately or the next day. This may at least then mean you have some answers if they are asking about specific times when they believe items were taken without being paid for.

It is only once they have carried out an investigation that they will decide what, if any, disciplinary action to take. At that point you should be formally invited to a disciplinary meeting at which you should be given the right to be accompanied, details of all the allegations and any documentary evidence the company is relying in should be given to you so you can prepare your defence for the meeting and you should be given an indiciation of what disciplinary action may be taken.

I hope that helps with knowing what the process is. If you have anything further to ask then please just come back to this thread. Maybe over the next few days try and do things that can take your mind away from this even for a little while.
      Thank you for your response, understanding the process has definitely helped me calm down a little. I am just concerned about the prospect of police action, a dismissal due to gross misconduct is bad to have, but I feel I could work around that but If it went to a police case where I would be charged and it would show up on my records would be devastating for any future prospects, that is my main worry and that is the route of my anxiety.

Comment

That is excellent advice from ULA.

I wonder if there are any special points to take care of regarding the fact that it is to be a video call?

Comment

The fact that the meeting is over video should not mean it is conducted any differently to fact-to-face. As it is an investigatory meeting you so not have the stautory right to be accompanied, however it may be worth just checking your emloyers procedured to make sure they do not provide employees with the right of a companion during an investigation meeting.

If they have not, at this time, mentioned anything about raising the matter with the police then try not to get anxious about this factor since it may not happen, they may have decided to deal with it as an internal matter. Just concentrate your time on getting prepared for the meeting on Thurs.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Is this the same? https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...e-for-a-friend

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X