• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employment Tribunal - Preliminary Hearing Advice Required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment Tribunal - Preliminary Hearing Advice Required

Hi.

I am in desperate need of help !
    I will try and be brief (not my strong point)

Background

I raised a tribunal case against my employer after going through ACAS mediation
    The case has been accepted and a preliminary hearing date set for Dec 2nd
    The respondent has sent a response asking for most of my claim to be removed as tribunal doesn't have jurisdiction on what I am claiming against and in some cases is out of time.

To explain the case would take all day .

I suffer from depression and occ health reports have stated they consider I come under the equality act

As a result of what has/is still happening I have been signed off sick for 11 months and my current sick note covers a further 2 months.
    My pay reduced to half after 6 months and reduces to nil on Dec 3rd.

I am currently still employed by my employer but have no intention of returning and Gp and occ health reports state they cannot see that I would be fit to return to work. During my most recent occ health meeting Ill health retirement was briefly mentioned. My employer has completely ignored the rest of the report or even discussed it with me but did pick up the Ill health retirement comment and after asking me a claim has just started ( I believe they are very hard to get and take a long time)

As my health is worsening I tried a settlement agreement both myself and through an employment lawyer both failed and ongoing appeal was given as the reason.

Normally I would have resigned around now and gone for constructive dismissal. However if I do resign my understanding is that the I'll health retirement claim becomes invalid. The same applies if my employer terminates my contract before a decision is reached. The sick absence policy has not been followed correctly by my employer and after 11 months I have only had one formal meeting and that was after 7 months. Therefore it would be sometime before they could even look at termination.As a result I had to select other on the ET1 form reason table rather than constructive dismissal and had to list the criteria for the claim. I tried to list what research suggested would be heard by the tribunal but obviously I have no experience of this.

Again for health reasons there is a very small settlement agreement offer made through ACAS which more or less only covers being paid until a ill health retirement decision is made and if it fails a standard redundancy type payment on termination.

The criteria I have listed on the ET1 are. Breach of contract, Personal Injury, Breach of duty of care,harassment,disability discrimination. Their response states only disability discrimination can be heard and they will defend it.

The areas where I need advice

Personal Injury. - they state tribunal does not have jurisdiction but I see employment lawyer websites that say they do and I have seen two cases where it is shown and substantial awards were made on this element.

Breach of duty of care- as above

Harassment - they state they are unrelated to the protective characteristic (disability) and therefore does not have jurisdiction

On the harassment they also state that should it be allowed they also state out of time. I was aware of the time ruling but I consider it as continuous and the issues are only dated as requested by the tribunal. Also I have tried all the routes I am required to do and once all these failed I raised the case. Most of the time is down to the grievance and appeal lasting around 14 months.

Breach of contract - cannot be considered as I am still employed.

I have noticed in the couple of cases where many of the issues were very similar to mine that injury to feelings was used and I think that would apply to several of the issues I raised in my claim although I have noticed again that the claimants had resigned or were dismissed.

My questions

Do I have a defence to their request for all those items to be dismissed and if so what is it

Is injury to feelings something I could use and does still being employed by them make any difference to listing it.

On the breach of contract one would the nil pay and only remaining employed until a Ill health retirement decision is reached be considered in any way.

I am in the process of completing the pre meeting agenda and believe I can make changes to my claim so if needed I could change criteria and the links I have created to each of the issues raised

Any help would be very much appreciated. For now I have excluded details of the issues as it would take all day to list them

Tags: None

Thank you for your post and I think I will need to tag paulocalla for assistance with this one.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you,any help much appreciated. Spent all afternoon mainly going round in circles.This afternoon my wife discovered a high court case in 2020 which states personal injury issues should be dealt with at employment tribunals and that they have jurisdiction on them. I think injury to feelings comes under the award bit rather than issues but could be wrong.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X