• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Respondent fails to comply with ET directions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respondent fails to comply with ET directions.

Hello,

I have entered a Tribunal claim for disability discrimination against my current employer.

The respondent’s lawyer said that the claim was out of time and asked for a hearing on this point.

I complied with the judge’s directions providing a witness statement and documents.

However, the respondent’s lawyer wrote to the tribunal asking for an extension. The judge replied to say that my witness statement was particularised enough for the hearing and gave the respondent an extra week to comply with the original directions.

I have now received a witness statement from the respondent but it doesn’t comply with what the judge originally directed and it makes no reference to the point of time.

Seeing as the respondent’s lawyer requested a hearing on the point of time and no justification or evidence for this has been forthcoming, I am somewhat bemused (I am representing in person).

We are due to have the hearing to consider whether the claim has been brought within time in a couple of weeks and I was wondering whether anybody has any advice on how I ought to proceed, please?

Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Firstly is this new thread related to your other thread you have been running with. If so I will merge them together as it is far more helpful to have everyhting in one thread if the issues are related If they are completely separate then I will leave them as two threads.

It would seem from what you have posted up that you have complied with everything that has been required of you by the Judge in order to present your case for why your claim should be considered.

Do you believe that is is out of time? Or is the respondent correct but you have strong mitigating reasons (supported by case law if there is any) as to why it is out of time but should still be considered by the Tribunal?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi,

thanks for the reply. It’s the same case but a different issue so it’s up to you whether you’d be better merging the e
      I entered the et1 within three months of a discriminatory act. I was ordered by the judge to provide writtenavh reasons ywhy my claim was brought within the relevant time. I dutifully did this and submitted a witness statement prior to the deadline.

the respondent requested the hearing because they said that my case was out of time. The judge asked them to provide their reasons and evidence to say why it was out of time. They have submitted a witness statement. However, they have made no mention to the time issue, as directed.

seeing as they requested a hearing on the time issue, but have not submitted any evidence for it, I am a little bemused.

Comment

If you have done everything required of you by the Judge and the respondent has not then that is there issue and no doubt something that the Judge will bring up at the hearing.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Is it worth me writing to the tribunal before hand to highlight it? Especially as the hearing is currently listed for 1 day.

Any idea whether the judge is minded to do more than just reprimand them?

Much appreciated.

Comment

What you could do is write to the respondent and copy the Tribunal to acknowledge receipt of the witness statement but point out that is does not comply with the order of the Judge.

What action the Judge may or may not take will depend on their view of the impact on the presenatation of the respondend's case in regard to the issue of time.

Comment

Hello again, thanks again for the reply and yes, I was thinking of writing to the Tribunal in those kind of terms.

Can you please explain what you mean by this:

“What action the Judge may or may not take will depend on their view of the impact on the presenatation of the respondend's case in regard to the issue of time.“

The respondent hasn’t made any reference to the time point in their statement, (they requested the hearing on the point of time)...

much appreciated.

Comment

Firstly you cannot write to the Tribunal without also writing to the respondent so send the one email to both of them in the "To" line so that they know the other has been included.

Sorry if I did not make myself clear. The Judge will have to take into consideration the fact of how well the respondent has or, given what you have said, has not presented their case in order to review all the facts and come to a consideration about whether your claim is in/out of time. However, even if they have not presented their case in regard to the time issue by way of a statement to the Tribunal as directed, it may well be that the Judge allows then to do so at the hearing itself. You must also remember that the Judge may also have a view as to the legal position on the issue.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X