• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Without Prejudice and Unambiguous Impropriety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Without Prejudice and Unambiguous Impropriety

Looking for some pointers on when the Employment Tribunal would consider looking at without prejudice communication.

Basic situation is:

New boss made it clear there is no fit for me following restructuring - email evidence.
    As a response to that I initiated settlement negotiations to exit the company.
    Negotiations went on for two months - email evidence
    Agreement was almost reached. HR stated as such in email.
    Just as agreement is about to finally tweaked and prepared the HR person with whom I have been negotiating passes me onto someone else in HR who denies we are close to an agreement and invites me to a formal consultation meeting.

In addition there are the following factors:

1. 3 months ago other members of my department are transferred to a new Line Manager and consultations begin. I am told by my line manager that he is leaving and that I will also be reporting to the new Line Manager along with my colleagues. The new Line Manager refuses to engage with me and reiterates via HR that there is no role for me in new restructured department.
    2. Old line manager has been fully appreciative of my work and may even support me in any action against the company as he also considers I have been treated unfairly.
    3. Day after old line manager leaves, I am invited to this formal meeting with notification of possible redundancy as if they were simply waiting for my Line Manager to leave.
    4. I am not advised I can take any representation to meeting (has not taken place yet).
    5. Company is seeking external recruitment for the equivalent of my role in the new department (based on the fact that it needs to be based in a different country and I don't speak that language) That is very arguable, given it is a country in which most people at the level I will be dealing with speak English.

Clearly much of the evidence of the above is contained in the without prejudice emails. I have read about the doctrine of unambiguous impropriety and it seems quite a high threshold to reach - such as when there is bullying or threatening communication. I have no doubt there has been impropriety by effectively putting me in organisational no man's land by having no line manager, by denying the extent of the negotiations by denying I am a suitable fit for the new role etc - but is that sufficient for the tribunals to allow the without prejudice communications to form evidence??

Tags: None

My understanding is that it is very rare for without prejudice conversations or correspondence to be shown to a tribunal judge, and usually it is only in discrimination or whistleblowing cases when evidence of wrongdoing has arisen in correspondence.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X