• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

M and S resignation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M and S resignation

my mum is employed at Marks and Spencer, she had a small disagreement with a manager over A shift swap On a Employee wattsapp group. The manager asked “shall I take this as your resignation” in frustration due to the issue my mum has said “yes” she then deleted my mum from the group.

my mum has chased up this incident this morning with her union rep who says the store cannot take this as a resignation. My mum was then contacted by the manager in question saying they had spoken to the store manager Who says they have spoken to people services (HR) and are happy they can take the response as her formal resignation. This does not seem correct to me? Are the union the best way to go with this?
    Tags: None

What did your Mum say on the WhatsApp group that led her manager to ask whether she had resigned?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Purple is my mum. Thank you for your help.
      manager says she has spoken to HR etc, should/ could we ask for a copy Of that correspondence? To make sure the story the manager has told us correct.

Comment

I am trying to understand how when your mother says in screenshot one "OK no worries" to the "we will talk about this separately" does the conversation in the middle screenshot lead to the the person asking if your mother is resigning. Is there a missing part of the conversation. Is there a missing part to this exchange.

Why did your mother say that she agreed to resign and would bring in her notice the next day, if that was not her intention?

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I believe photo 3 on here is the middle part of the conversation and has posted incorrectly by me.

so would be photo 1 photo 3 photo 2 is the correct sequence.

my mum felt backed into a corner and embarrassed infront of the rest of the staff, so acted rashly in a bit of a state.

Comment

In my opinion unless your mother has, as per her WhatsApp message confirmed in writing her resignation, this could potentially be considered as a "heat of the moment" resignation when she was angry or upset and it may not have made a rational decision for her to terminate the employment and she might regret it. I guess the first thing to ask is does your mother want to stand by her resignation?

If not then this is may be her best "defence". In the heat of the moment resignation ideally the employer should consider giving the employee the opportunity to retract their resignation after they have had time to calm and give say a period of 24/48 hours before approaching the employee to find out they they want to stand by their resignation.

That said an employee who resigns cannot unilaterally withdraw that heat of the moment resignation just because they change their mind. It will normally be the employer’s decision, not theirs, as to whether or not they can do this, particularly if unambiguous words such as “I resign” or “I quit” have been used.

Employment tribunals have previously held that where there are "special circumstances", apparently unambiguous words should be considered in context and it would be risky for an employer to rely on that resignation without further investigation. "Special circumstances" have been held to include pressures on an employee for example, provocation or coercion by a manager.

I think the best solution for your mother is to, as soon as possible, speak to HR and explain it was a heat of the moment response to the stress and pressure of the issue regarding swapping shifts.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X