• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Definition of Retirement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of Retirement

Hello everyone, new member here and I'm hoping someone can help me!

I'm due to attend an Employment tribunal hearing this December and I think it would help my case if I had a legal definition of what "retirement" is. If there is no actual definition, does anyone know of a case that has had to define "retirement"?

Thank you for reading !

Garry
    Tags: None

Really interesting question actually! Found this which may assist? https://www.hr-inform.co.uk/employment_law/retirement

The concept of retirement has changed radically in the last five years, and significant restrictions have been placed on employers’ ability to retire employees since the default retirement age (set at age 65 in 2006) was repealed on 6 October 2011 and phased out.

Employers now cannot require employees to retire, and must allow them to stay on until they choose to retire, unless they can identify legitimate business reasons why a particular retirement age is justified, necessary and appropriate for their organisation, and are able to defend this retirement age in the event of a discrimination claim.

Successive governments have encouraged individuals to continue working (in the light of changing demographics, and the cost of supporting retirees or the “economically inactive”) in the belief that this has positive benefits for older workers and enables employers to retain experienced and skilled staff. KEY POINTS

• There is no longer a state or default retirement age.
    • Employers should not pressure employees into resigning because they are approaching a certain age, including those who are at, or over, the state or company pension age.
    • Employees should inform their employer of their intention to retire in accordance with the notice provisions in their employment contract.
    • Compulsory retirement is only possible where the employer can justify it objectively, based on social policy aims in the public interest which go beyond the business’ own needs, and where forced retirement at a particular age is a proportionate means of achieving them.
    • Workplace discussions should take place on a regular basis, to explore older workers’ career plans, to enquire about when they may wish to retire, and to enable the organisation to manage resources and budgets.
    • Employers need to avoid making an assumption that an employee's performance may decline as a result of age.
    • Employers must avoid discrimination against any workers on the grounds of age.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi Celestine,

Thanks for the speedy reply, much appreciated. The items you found were things I already knew about. Let me explain the situation I am in and I think you’ll get a better handle why I need an exact definition of retirement.

Last year the company I worked for made 4500 people (voluntary) redundant. The offer to take redundancy was a good one, but if you were 60 or over, you had a second option where you got a payment and if you were in the defined benefit pension scheme, you could take your pension with no actuarial reduction. This second offer was clearly much better. My ex employer could only offer this second option because they added (an unspecified) amount to the pension fund solely for the over 60s. This is where I believe the discrimination is and its my first line of attack in the Employment Tribunal Hearing.

My ex-employer is using The Equality Act (Age Exceptions for Pension Schemes) Order 2010 paragraph 10 (2) (d) as their defence. Para 10 begins

10.—(1) A minimum age for any member of a scheme for payment of or entitlement to a

particular age related benefit on the grounds of redundancy where it is enhanced in accordance with sub-paragraph (2) and paid either with or without consent (whether of an employer, the trustees or managers of the scheme or otherwise).

but paragraph 10 (2)(b) says... by not making any actuarial reduction for early retirement.

I personally do not think redundancy and retirement are the same thing. The definition of redundancy is given at the beginning of the 2010 order, but there is no definition of retirement.

As a fallback I want to say my ex employer cannot use 10(2)(b) as the people were made redundant, not retired. This is why I could use a definition of retirement that is accepted by the courts.

Celestine (any anyone else that wants to chip in) I hope my explanation is clear, just ask me if you need anything clarifying

Thanks again

Garry

Comment

The situation with regard to retirement is as Celestine has set out and now most employees have the right to decide at what age they will retire. This means that for most jobs there is no longer a legal set retirement age unless an employer can meet certain legal requirements. This means proving that setting a retirement age is what the law calls 'a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim'.

The Equality Act (Age Exceptions for Pension Schemes) Order 2010 provides a definition of "normal retirement age", however this will not give an actual age since, given the above, and if the company had not been able to prove that they could set a retirement date which was 'a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim', then a retirement age could not be set and it is down to an individual when to retire.

I am not a pensions expert however my understanding is that for most defined benefit schemes there is a normal retirement age given, however this should be set out in the pension plan. If someone retires before this age then it would reduce proportionally the amount of pension available.

I am a bit confused in terms of the sections you are referring to so therefore can you confirm what you have stated i.e. that your employer is using 10 (2) (d) as their defence. This section states:

(2) The enhancement of any age related benefit payable to or in respect of a member on the grounds of redundancy where the enhancement is calculated in one or more of the following ways—
        (d) by not making any actuarial reduction for early retirement.

You then confuse section (2)(b) for (2)(d).

You also say " As a fallback I want to say my ex employer cannot use 10(2)(b)" this section states:

2) The enhancement of any age related benefit payable to or in respect of a member on the grounds of redundancy where the enhancement is calculated in one or more of the following ways—
        (b) by reference to a fixed number of years of prospective pensionable service;

Please can you confirm your references otherwise it is hard to follow which argument the company is using and which one you want to use.

However that all aside my view of Section 10 (2)(d) allows for a company, in a situation of redundancy, not to make a reduction in the pension payable if the person being made redundant is below the aged of retirement as defined in the pension plan by the defined proportional amount.

What is it you are actually trying to prove i.e. what is your claim against your former employer. To know this would be very useful, however I guess it is the fact that the company only applied this to affected staff over the age of 60. Again you may need to refer to the terms of the pension scheme.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X