• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Rights to a salary review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rights to a salary review

Hi Legal Beagles. Looking for a little advice please.

Over 6 years ago, I was persuaded to join a tech start-up and left my very senior management consultant role at a big international corporate. I had young children and needed a change and a new challenge. At the time, being part of a very small team, with a very good idea, with the opportunity to shape something quite revolutionary in health technology was very attractive. I was prepared to take the salary hit at the time. I was awarded a few share options that, if the company does well, I'll be rewarded. it was gamble, but a gamble that was well worth it at the time.

In my contract of employment, there is this clause...."Your salary will be reviewed at 6 months and thereafter annually and may be increased from time to time at the Company’s discretion without affecting the other terms of your employment"

I'll cut to the chase. I am an exec director of the business, have a (questionable) CEO who is an academic (not commercial) and the company is both profitable, has cash reserves (over £1.5m in the bank) and has moved from tech start-up to established company, with national contracts with the NHS and social care sectors. I have been instrumental in the business success.

However....In spite of incredibly positive and sustainable growth, doubling revenues year on year, my requests for a salary review have been completely ignored. I have had countless conversations with the CEO, written countless emails and the answer is....yes, I will be undertaking the review shortly.
    It never happens.

It was my understanding from the recruiting CEO (who has now moved on to the board), that when cash allowed, the 50% salary hit I took to join the business would be matched and bonuses paid to make up for lost earnings.

I am in a dilemma. I have many other employment options available that would pay the 6 figure salary I can command, however....the terms of my share options are clear. If I leave the business, I lose my options. To date, at current valuation levels, if a buyer were to take over the company, the shares have a value in excess of nearly £400k (after tax).

We are at least 3 years away from a sale I believe. The board want the valuation to be higher, they want us to be more profitable and they want more investors before exit. This will dilute my share options but we are "promised" that the investment will add to the long term potential returns.

What to do. I am not alone. All the ED's in the business (there ar 5 of us) are in a similar predicament with zero salary reviews or bonuses paid. The staff we manager are now paid only slightly less than we are! To not have had a single percentage increase in salary in close to 7 years is, in my option, not fair and disrespectful of the effort and graft I have put in to make the business what it is today.

So the question....Do I have any rights to question this legally given the clause in the contract, or...(as I suspect is the answer), do I have to put up or get out.

Any help or advice would be enormously appreciated.

Thank you.

Tags: None

Unfortunately the clause only states that your salary will be reviewed and "may be increased from time to time at the Company’s discretion..." This does not obligate the company to give you a salary increase.

Are you by any chance able to have an informal chat about the situation with the CEO who hired you as he is still involved in the company and would be well aware of the contribution you have made to the growth of the company?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you. That's what I thought.

Unfortunately, I think this may be a signal that the business has successfully moved from start up to medium sized enterprise and the board are not manoeuvring the current execs out of the business to replace with individuals with more experience of a £10m turnover company rather than a £3m company as we are today.

I have spoken to the hiring CEO, he fobs me off! There's always a Manyana element to the conversation.

I think the conclusion remains then. Put up, or shut up and get out. Such a shame.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X