• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Required employment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required employment

Hi there,

I have a contract employment. My employer wants to put me on a training agreement as an apprentice for 3 years.

Within the training agreement they have stated ‘I need to be employed by them for 2 years following the end of apprenticeship’. Without any detail in regards to pay, consequences, conditions.

Where do I / they stand legally with this?

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

It sounds like this is a "training clawback" type clause, which is based upon you remaining with the company for a period of time after your apprenticeship has completed in order to gain the benefit of any costs they have paid towards your apprenticeship. A training clawback clause, so long as it is reasonable and for example has a sliding scale of repayment i.e. the longer of the two years you remain the less you have to repay then they are legal.

I would suggest that if they have not defined exactly what costs are covered by this, so you know the amount of money involved and what the sliding scale is, that you ask the company to confirm those details. In addition you can also ask them the type of job that they would consider you being moved into at the end of your apprenticeship.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for your help.

The issue here is that under the apprenticeship they have no right to clawback any direct or associated costs that relate to the apprenticeship. Which they have confirmed verbally with me.

As they cannot claim the costs they are making it an requirement that I agree to work a further 2 years post qualification almost as a trade off that they are giving me the opportunity to be an apprentice??

Comment

If those are the terms under which they are offering the apprenticeship then if you do sign up to them that is what you would be obliged to accept. In the event there is no detail written into the contract about what happens, in the event you leave within the two years, they may be relying on bringing a claim against you for breach of contract.

If you are still discussing/negotiating with them it may be best to get this cleared up now and ask what happens if in the event that you did decide to leave in the two year period.

Also as per my previous post you need to get some idea of what opportunities may be available once you have finished the apprenticeship.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi thank you for your help.

So if I do leave, the grounds they could come at me with would be breach of contract.

And what I would need to get cleared up is:

What the consequence of breach of contract would be.
          What my job opportunity / salary would be post qualification.
          Would be very difficult to agree for myself and even what they would be happy to offer as I’m almost negotiating 3 years in advance.

If I do sign it as it stands, the wording is:
          ’need to be employed by X for 2 years after completing qualification’. That’s it. With no conditions. They could in theory keep my salary the same for the next 5 years... And in the event I moved away and could not commute, I could still be stung.

Comment

My general view, is based on the limited detail of the agreement shared on the post, the unknown consequence of what would happen should you leave in the two year period and what could be potentially offered in terms of job, career advancement etc after the 3 years, there are some uncertainties given you are tying yourself to the company for 5 years.

I appreciate apprenticeships and jobs may not be easy to get given the current situation caused by COVID19 but you need to get as much information about the things I have stated above as possible so that you can make an informed decision about whether this is the correct opportunity for you.

Comment

Hi ULA

Really appreciate your help!

That line I quoted was thrown in to a standardised training agreement that the Professional qualification I’m doing offers to employers help with setting out the terms of training I.e. how may retakes of exams I’m allowed. Very basic and does not cover any employment commitments.

So they’ve decided to throw that line in themselves and that’s it..

I will ask them those questions tomorrow. Thank you!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X