• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unfair redundancy process - case for settlement agreement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair redundancy process - case for settlement agreement?

I am currently in a consultation process where my leadership role has disappeared due to a restructuring. There are no leadership roles to apply for as they have all been allocated to others. However some are clearly not 'role-matches' and have certain people have been cherry picked into the new roles despite them not been substantively the same. A peer of mine who does practically the same job as me has been slotted into a brand new role, but the substantive duties in the new role cannot be compared to the old role. It is clearly and obviously a completely different role. I have challenged this but received a bland response back saying everyone has been treated fairly (even though some insiders have told me that it wasn't a legitimate role-match). There are some other procedural errors too I feel (such as announcing the new structure before concluding my personal consultation) but these are side issues. My contractual redundancy terms are better than statutory and it is a decent amount, but i feel that there is a case for unfair dismissal. The company don't seem to be offering any settlement agreement (only my contractual redundancy terms which are better than statutory). Do I have a case? How would I approach this?
    Tags: None

My understanding is that under a restructuring then the company can map individuals across to newly identified roles in the new organisation structure. In doing so the company needs to be confident that the individual mapped across has a high proportion of the skills required to carry out that new role. It is not necessarily about the duties in the the role being the same or similar it is about the skills set required to carry out that new role.
    If there are a number of candidates that are "at risk" that have the potential skills set then the company could hold interviews for the role but if it can justify its decision on the mapping across then those not identified into new roles should then be consulted as part of a redundancy process.
    In a situation such as this it may be very unlikely that the company will offer a settlement agreement.
    If you are being offered a greater than statutory redundancy then that would be taken account of by a tribunal should they agreed it was unfair dismissal.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      My understanding is that under a restructuring then the company can map individuals across to newly identified roles in the new organisation structure. In doing so the company needs to be confident that the individual mapped across has a high proportion of the skills required to carry out that new role. It is not necessarily about the duties in the the role being the same or similar it is about the skills set required to carry out that new role.
      If there are a number of candidates that are "at risk" that have the potential skills set then the company could hold interviews for the role but if it can justify its decision on the mapping across then those not identified into new roles should then be consulted as part of a redundancy process.
      In a situation such as this it may be very unlikely that the company will offer a settlement agreement.
      If you are being offered a greater than statutory redundancy then that would be taken account of by a tribunal should they agreed it was unfair dismissal.
      I am not sure that is entirely correct. My understanding is that slotting in without the need to go through a recruitment process shall apply where there has been no significant change in the duties and responsibilities of a post following restructuring and where the number of posts available is equal to or in excess of the number of existing post holders. For example, looking at https://www.gblf.co.uk/service/emplo...restructuring/ it outlines that this is about duties rather than skills

Automatic slotting in - Where the substantive duties of the post holder are wholly or mainly the same in the new structure as they were in the old, and where there is no change in grade to the post and no other staff in the same role are displaced, the member of staff should slot in automatically without competition and without detriment to their terms and conditions.
      Competitive interview - This will be used where posts in the revised or new service are similar to existing posts and/or where there are fewer available posts than staff potentially ‘at risk’. The identifiable group will be ‘ring fenced’ so that only the staff potentially at risk are considered for the available posts. Similarly, where there is more than one employee with a slotting in claim to a new post in the structure, the employee should be invited to compete in a ring-fenced selection / skills assessment process.

If you are doing the same role as the person that was slotted into the new role, I would have thought you have some sort of case. Though as suggested above, the enhanced terms would be taken into account in any award.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X