• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Public House Tenancy Change - No New Contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public House Tenancy Change - No New Contract

Hello everyone,

I am writing this on behalf of someone else who works in a tenancy-ran public house in England, and has worked there for almost 20 years as the Manager / Team Lead & Key Holder. In case it matters, the actual pub owner is Everards. If any questions come in, I will ask her and get them back as soon as possible, but hopefully I have enough information here.

She has, over the years, worked for multiple landlords and in every instance, when a new landlord takes over, they also take on the contracts within the transfer/takeover (TUPE).

Back in 2014, the landlord and landlady (LL1) at the time gave her a contract that stipulated time served to include past years and put her on a 52 hours per week contract.

----

Now comes the complication. In 2015, since they were temporarily running it as a second pub, they gave up their lease and a new landlord took over (LL2). He didn't ask to have staff removed, so the contracts for staff were passed to the new landlord. Everards HR confirmed that this falls under TUPE guidelines and the contracts remain in place.

LL2 tried a few times to lower her pay by attempting to drop her contracted hours. She refused and told him that any change to contract would be rejected if it reduced pay or position, and she would opt for redundancy - something he couldn't do because his friend was the chef at the public house, and he wanted him to be the manager, which can't be done if he makes her redundant, so he simply never gave her a renewed contract, just kept her as manager and slowly reduced her workload and removed a lot of management duties.

LL2 was the landlord for 5 years, until 2019, and during that time no contracts were agreed to, or enforced, and pay would only be altered in-line with National Minimum Wage, since because she had the 52 hour contract, she never received a raise etc, just allowed to hit minimum wage, then rise with each year. To be both a manager, and key holder, on the same pay as a waitress, is bad - but quite possibly not illegal?

Fast forward those 5 years, to 2019, and the landlord decided to take another pub and give up the current one, which then means there is another take over and a new landlord (LL3). Once more, Everards HR state that this happened within TUPE guidelines and the contract once more is extended to the new landlord.

2020 happens, and covid happen - she's furloughed, but the new landlord hasn't issues a new contract. She has not been issues a pay slip since covid happened, and on asking for it, the new landlord took the stance of "As far as I'm concerned, you don't have a contract with me", even though Everards area manager told him (LL3), in front of her, that her contract stands.

Now, over the last 6+ years, she has misplaced her contract (We are searching old files for it still), and the landlord (LL3) is saying that he never received it from LL2, so we have this huge grey area.

Worth noting;

1. The landlord and landlady (LL1) are friends now, and we still have contact. They have said they will happily, if needed, state exactly what her contract entailed, even though they don't have the exact copy.
    2. The previous landlord (LL2) used to put hourly rate on the pay slip, with 52 as the multiplier to represent hours, which she has kept for reference.
    3. The new landlord changed the payslip to say "Salary" with a multiplier of 1.

Kind of at a loss on how to help her here, but it feels like he's trying to push this in a way to not be accountable for his obligations as an employer, potentially disregarding TUPE, previous contracts, and the fact her pay slips do prove her pay over a long period, etc, which only changed with minimum wage.

Apologies for the essay!

Does anybody have anything they can offer for guidance, information or at least some indication of avenues to take? I want to try and get as much stuff together, printed as I can, and hand it to her so she can hand it off to him.
    Tags: None

Just a couple of initial observations:

1. If your friend has been with LL3 since 2019 and has been on the payroll with him, which she must have done to be furloughed, then I am unsure why he can claim she does not have a contract.

2. I think your friend should speak to Everards HR about the situation, since they support the fact that the transfer from LL2 to LL3 was a TUPE situation for the staff employed.

3. Each time your friend transferred over by way of TUPE to a new landlord then the contract went with her, as far as I am aware there is not necessarily a need for a new contract to be provided since the terms should not change but at the minimum it could be a letter confirming the new employer is xxx, that her existing contract terms are unchanged from her previous employment with xxxx and that her continuous service is maintained from xxxx date.

4. In regard to payslips, even though your friend is on furlough she is still entitled to a payslip that is a legal responsibility as set out in the Employment Rights Act 1996 section 8. This requirement did not disappear because her 80% furlough salary is effectively being claimed back from the government under the CJRS scheme.

Obviously if your friend can find her contract with LL2 that would be great.

If you need any further information then just come back to this thread.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X