• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Payment in lieu, no contract, changing holiday year part way through

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payment in lieu, no contract, changing holiday year part way through

I started a job 30th Nov 2018, with no written contract, I was told that the holiday year would begin on my start date, and the anniversary of that date each year. Now I have left (end July), the owner said that they've changed it to run from April - April.

In my opinion, I am owed payment in lieu from 30th Nov 2019 to my leaving date on 20th July 2020. They are telling me no, the leave years runs April to April and you were told you’'d forfeited the holiday you had'n’t taken so apparently I am not owed 15 days, I am owed 6 (took 3 days off in May).

In short, my holiday year was changed mid way through with no opportunity to take what I was owed they just re set it to zero. Because I did not attempt to take it am I not entitled to it upon leaving?

Also, I have numerous examples of how I tried to take holiday but was prevented from doing so, mainly by bullying and intimidation, but I really don't want to have to muddy the waters and go down this route.

Thanks in advance whoever can help me out here.
    Last edited by Danielle33; 13th August 2020, 06:59:AM.
    Tags: None

Even if your employer did change the holiday year from anniversary of start date to a fixed period 1 April to 31 March, there would need to be some pro-rata calculation based on accrued time Nov to 31 March. If you were being required to take this time off before the start of the new holiday year you should have been given adequate notice to take the holiday by 31 March. This would mean your employer giving you double the notice for the days to be taken i.e. you had undertaken holiday by 5 days then you should be given 10 days notice. This would mean you started 1 April with all holiday taken up to that point.

Since you are no longer an employee the best you can do is write to your ex-employer setting out the reasons why you are owed this money, including the fact that you were told by your boss she would sort you out (if you can remember the date of this conversation it would be helpful to add this in). The obligation the employer would have had to give you adequate notice of the change and also explain the arrangement for accrued but untaken holiday. Set a timescale for the matter to be resolved such as 14 days and state that if it cannot be resolved you will be making a claim for unlawful deduction of wages.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X