• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy or Reduced Hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy or Reduced Hours

I have been working full time for my company for over five years and have been on furlough since 1st April.

This coming Friday I have a meeting at work with my two directors. Originally casually over the phone termed as "a meeting to discuss your options" but I have subsequently received an official letter stating that this meeting is a "consultation meeting" and that I am "at risk of redundancy or reduced hours".

They have previously told me that come the end of the furlough scheme at the end of October staff including myself will be brought back in on drastically reduced hours (2 days instead of 5) or, if they do not agree to a new contract with the reduced hours, they will be made redundant. I'm not sure they should have told us this prior to consultation but still. As the company hopefully recovers, hours would be gradually increased back to full time.

My questions are:

1) If I choose the reduced hours option, can they force me to sign the new contract now? My concern with this is that I sign a contract for 60% fewer hours, they could five minutes later issue me with redundancy, now worth 60% less, before the ink is even dry on my new contract.

2) If I do sign a new contract for reduced hours now, how does this affect my furlough payments moving forwards? My concern here is that my furlough payments will then be calculated at 80% of two days per week rather than the usual five.

Thank you for reading and any advise or information that may help me navigate my options and make the best, well informed decision, truly gratefully received.
    Tags: None

My answer to both these questions is to get confirmation that the new hours are only being brought into force on your return to work at the end of the furlough scheme i.e. from 1 NovÂ*Â*
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X