• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Potential deduction from earnings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential deduction from earnings?

Hi Guys and Girls,

First time here, I just have a question that hopefully you can answer for me.

I have recently handed in my notice of resignation to my employer as I have found another job which offers me a lot more progression and training wise and is better suited to what I want but my current employer has turned a little funny and threatened to issue me with Benefit in Kind tax for the HGV licence they recently paid for (January 2020) which they wanted me to undertake.

The only issue I seem to have is they're claiming they're eligible to do this despite me not signing any paperwork or contract to say that I agree if I leave between X amount of time I am liable to pay back a percentage.

Where do I stand if I find out at the end of the month that they actually have deducted from my wages? Is this classed as anything?

Thanks all,

LittleOwl
    Tags: None

I presume to get your HGV licence you needed to undergo some training and it is the cost of the training that they are saying they need to recover their costs for or make you pay for it. If that is the case and your employer paid for the HGV training to get your licence and this related to your job, the value of the payment made by your employer for the training is not taxable, so they cannot process it as a benefit in kind.

The only other way they can reclaim the cost of the training back is if in either your contract of employment or by way of a separate training agreement there is what is known as a "training clawback" clause i.e. you agree back to pay the cost training if you leave within a certain time after the training has occurred.

If you have not signed a separate agreement or there is nothing in your contract and they try to deduct the cost of the training then potentially you will have a claim for unlawful deduction of wages.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X