• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Furlough Holiday Accrual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furlough Holiday Accrual

I was furloughed in march and have received 3 months furlough pay from my company (I am still furloughed). I work as an occasional worker (under my contract I am not an employee). That being said my company deemed I was eligible to claim and they would pay me 80% of my wage whilst on furlough.

As I understand, as a furloughed employee, by law, we are still employed and therefore still accrue holidays. After querying this with my employee, they have said occasional workers do not accrue holiday and that is why I have not been paid any.

This what my employer said as to why I don't receive holiday on furlough;
    ''Occasional employees are not accruing holidays whilst on furlough so no payment is being made. This is because holiday pay is based on hours worked and at present no work is being undertaken''

Thanks in advance for any help.

The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.
    Tags: None

From what I understand and having done some research, zero-hour employees accrued holiday during furlough should be calculated in the same way as before furlough. Holiday pay during furlough is based on their average pay over the previous 52 weeks worked - the reference period increased to 52 weeks from 6 April 2020.
    Employers count back across the last 52 weeks that the employee has worked and received any pay for work in that week. Weeks in which no pay was received do not count towards the 52-week average. If employees have worked for less than 52 weeks, employers should use as many full weeks of work as possible to calculate the holiday pay.

Because the reference period must include the last 52 weeks for which there were actual earnings, any weeks where no work was performed are not included. So, the reference period may go further back than 52 weeks from the furlough period. Employers should not look back any more than 104 weeks. If the employee has less than 52 weeks in which they earned anything during the last 104 weeks, then the reference period is shortened to that lower number of weeks.

Hope that makes sense, although please do not come back and ask me to work out any calculations as it all seems a bit complicated.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi, Sorry if I've not been clear, how holidays accrue under furlough is not the issue. The issue is that my employer is saying I do not accrue any, this is what he said;

''Occasional employees are not accruing holidays whilst on furlough so no payment is being made. This is because holiday pay is based on hours worked and at present no work is being undertaken.''

Under my original contract, I am not an employee, there is no mutuality of obligation and i technically just do work on an assignment basis. So what i am really asking is can my employer refuse to pay me holiday for the furlough period? Or is a case of, regardless of my original contract I am entitled to accrue holiday while on furlough.

Thanks for your response!
      The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

This link may be a useful reference point for you

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...es-of-contract
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks Ula, I'll have a read however at first glance I dont think it's going to provide any answers to my situation

Comment

For someone on a zero hours contract to accrue holiday entitlement it is based on the hours that are worked and then calculating the pro-rata due of statutory entitlement.

How is your furlough being calculated? That might given you a perspective on how you can accrue holiday entitlement during furlough.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
              For someone on a zero hours contract to accrue holiday entitlement it is based on the hours that are worked and then calculating the pro-rata due of statutory entitlement.

How is your furlough being calculated? That might given you a perspective on how you can accrue holiday entitlement during furlough.
              My furlough is calculated taking the average monthly wage from 12 months (April 2019 - April 2020) and i am paid 80% of that each month. After asking why i was not accruing holidays as i believed that to be case, he said because i was not actually doing any work then I would not accrue any holidays.

I am classed as an occasional worker and my contract states i am not an employee and work on an assignment basis only. Do all workers who are furloughed continue to accrue holiday, also i have not agreed for them to not give me holidays either.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X