• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy.. shock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy.. shock

Hi,
    My other half has just been told he's the lowest scoring and will be being made redundant.. We can't figure out how that is possible..
    There has been a consultation and he has been scored .. the chap that scored him was late calling as his wife is poorly( she is very poorly ) and does not know my other half at all... yet these scores especially when they are to do with work record etc need to be done by someone who actually knows him..surely..
    He was supposed to talk to people about my other half but wouldn't say who.. Probably because he has no idea who my other half has worked with in the company..
    I know i'm clutching at straws but he has another telephone meeting on friday.. is there anything we can try and do..
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear about the situation for your other half.
    My view is that any assessment against a selection matrix for redundancy should be carried out by a manager who has a reasonable knowledge of the individual and can assess their performance against all the criteria being used or can get access to that data i.e. if one of the criteria is sickness absence or disciplinary record which may be held with HR. If more than one manager has assessed the individual because of their knowledge against those criteria there is no reason why the individual should not know who was involved in the assessment.
    I think that these would be reasonable points to be raised at the next meeting on Fri.
    The other thing that can be asked for is the range of scores of other people who were in the "selection pool". Your other half would be not allowed to know who received what score specifically but can be told what the next score up was and the highest given.* Also there should be a detailed explanation about why each mark was given against each criteria.
    Hope that helps and makes sense but if you have any further questions just pop back to this thread.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you for the advice...
      there are 2 departments 4 work in exeter 3 in bristol last year the company did a redundancy and scaled down the exeter side in favour of bristol...
      I know the new chap they have taken on in bristol has been called hopeless by a manage!! anyhoo... my other half got a score of 3 on attendance even though he hasnt had a day off for over a year... and it was because they dont have any evidence to suggest otherwise whereas the bristol lot clock in so to speak.. surely thats not a level playing field to start with... he scored him a 3/5 on customer service ( he works in peoples homes) now my other half has had many emails sent in to the office praising him on his work and professionalism he got that put up* to a 4 but when you know one of the other chaps was banned from someones house because of something he did it just doesn't make sense.. adaptability a 3 .. again he works wherever they send him without complaint! and how he can say hes not pro active when if a job finishes early he goes round the estate looking for more jobs is beyond me..
      the whole scoring thing is very lazy and untrue.. im just a tad miffed as he hoped this would be his job until he retired .

Comment

I've just thought of something else... now of the 7 techs 2 are being made redundant.. the bristol 3 techs were taken off furlough a while ago and put back to work.. in these odd times is that an ok thing to do or is it a bit dodgy?. My other half even offered to take a 10% wage cut!

Comment

It sounds like there may be an issue with how the scores were achieved. On the absence one, I presume if he is going to be off for any reason other than pre-arranged holiday he would need to phone into department head or HR, in which case there would be a record of this. So the challenge would be to quantify the absence that he has "apparently" taken to justify a scoring of 3.

Under the furlough scheme there has always been (given the 3 week ruling) the ability to bring people back in line with the needs of the business at the time. This does not mean everyone has to be brought back it may be one department and not another or just a few people from one department and not everyone. However in doing so it must be done on a basis that is non-discriminatory.
          Last edited by ULA; 24th June 2020, 15:49:PM. Reason: Further clarification
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you for the advic ... So we've appealed.. Turns out my other half scored 6 points less than his mate.. If it had been 1 or 2 points then fair enough but not 6.. Also they have shut the Exeter office and moved everything to Bristol and his mate lives closer to Bristol so it's our opinion that they skewed the figures because they they had no intention of keeping the Exeter office open ..
            The only thing about this that is nagging at me is IF we were to win would my other half have to take his job back?
            If they had been honest through this whole thing then we probably wouldn't have appealed but they are a national company that says all the right things but turns out they really don't care about their employees at all.

Comment

Have they declared that the reason for the redundancies is the closure of the Exeter office?

If your husband did decide to try and make a claim for unfair dismissal then when completing an ET1 form there are several option which can include reinstatement or not, it would be his choice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X