• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Possible court action after unfair dismissal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible court action after unfair dismissal

Hi. First time on here and looking for some advice. I was sacked from my work suddenly and without worning a day after my Paternity leave had ended on 17th March. I had zero warning and according to my ex boss it was a decision made based on my poor performance as a sales person. Till the day I was sacked I did not ever have any performance reviews or performance related emails/meetings. Infact on Jan 2020 I got a pay rise! I had been with the company for less than 2 years and now am taking legal advice.*
    but things have changed. I forwarded performance related emails to myself before I left as proof that in fact I had hit my sales target and the reason behind my sacking was not fair at all. The ex employer has been in touch threatening me with court action as I have done this. I replied to say that the information I have is only for the purposes of my case against them and not for financial gain and will not he passed to any third parties.*
    I am worried about the whole situation and their communication to me was very threatening. My solicitor said if they choose to take me to court then I need a civil lawyer to help me. But also they must be able to prove that the information I have taken has caused them financial loss. Is this correct? Do I need to take other steps before the matter goes further? Thanks*
    Tags: None

Since you are taking legal advice about your termination i will not comment on that and deal with the specifics of the company information.

You state that you had zero warning in regard to your dismissal.

When did you forward the performance related emails to yourself?
    Was this to a personal email account?
    Where you physically on site when you sent these to yourself or did you login remotely to the network after you were dismissed?
    What if any confidentiality clause was there in your contract of employment and did this refer to company information with any examples?

Sorry for all the questions but the answers to these would be useful to be able to provide a more detailed response.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi. I was off site when I sent the emails to my personal email address the day after. My contract does have confidentiality agreement where it does limit me to such emails being forwarded on and its seen as gross misconduct. During my dismissal I had asked if I was entitled to legal advise and I also asked my boss to confirm my performance numbers. Both of which he denied me. I wasnt thinking clearly which is why I did it to help me with my case. I later found out I could get all that information through a subject information request**

Very worried about the whole situation*

Comment

Can you post up the confidentiality clause removing any personalised information so that i can read it in full. Thanks*
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Sure. Please see images
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting up the clause and try not to worry.

It is clear that employee information is covered for being confidential as detailed in (a) and then in (c) it sets out who the confidential information cannot be disclosed to, which is any person, company or organisation. *So, from that sense I am struggling to see their concern as it was information about you which you sent to yourself.

The issue that is more at point is the timing of when you did this. That it was the day after you had been dismissed and you were remotely accessing the company’s network to send information to yourself. Now, it could be argued that their security is at issue here, when you had been dismissed, they should have immediately revoked all your access to the company’s computer network which they clearly did not if gained access in the normal way.

What level of confidential information did you have access to and can you prove that you did not try and download any of that data and that is was purely performance related emails that only reference you which you forwarded to your personal account?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.*

They did not take my laptop on the day I was released. My access was not revoked for 48 hours at least. And they never took my ID off me either. No one in the company knew I was being sacked as there is an exist procedure they have to follow. There was no HR present either. I also asked for legal advise which I was denied saying that I only get 4 weeks pay.*

i did have access to client data but not staff or detailed financial information. I took performance related emails and company score card as well as revenue intake for our clients. I needed this to calculate my performance.*

I am more than happy for them to log into my personal computer and take a look to see but doubt that is what they will want to do.*

Comment

I would suggest that given you have replied to the initial letter just wait and see how they respond to what you have said. It will also give you an indication of how serious they are about trying to pursue this.*

Try not to worry in the meantime, it may be a scare tactic, particularly if they are concerned that they might be an employment claim. i presume this will be on some form of discriminatory grounds around it happening on your return from pat leave since you have been with the company less than 2 years.*

Comment

Thanks. I will see what they say (if anything). I cant believe how easily a company can dismiss someone with below 2 years of service. In my case having had a pay rise 30 days prior to going on Paternity leave!!!! I also out performed my colleagues yet I was the who got let go.*

If its scare tactics its has worked but I have to continue on this road. If they do want to take me to court then I have to get help in form of a civil lawyer.....any ideas where I need to start first if that is the case?*

Thanks*

Comment

Firstly you may be able to get some useful help via this forum. Secondly our sister site JustBeagle.com is a comparison site of all law firms in England and wales, may be worth having a look there when and if you need to consider hiring a lawyer.*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X