• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Being made redundant whilst on Furlough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being made redundant whilst on Furlough

I’m after some advice or help as I am currently furloughed by my employer of 3 years, but I am going through a redundancy consultation and it is pretty clear what the outcome is going to be!!
    i have my third meeting with them on Monday afternoon and I’m just curious as to some professional/experienced thought on the following and what if any advice anyone has to offer.
    so, here goes
    The company went into lock down on Tuesday 24 March and i was able to work from home.
    Monday 30 March I was emailed a letter informing me that i had been furloughed as of 23 March, albeit i had been working from home each day and not been consulted or agreed to be Furloughed.
    Tuesday 31 March received my pay, which was slightly short as I had been not been paid full standard wage as been furloughed for the last week.
    i have continued to be asked about outstanding accounts whilst on furlough and sent some emails, but nothing more.
    Thursday 16 April, my line Director called me to say that the board of Directors were meeting to discuss life after lock down and I should look out for any emails over the next couple of days.
    Thursday 17 April, I received an email at around 8pm, with a letter attached regarding redundancy consultation meeting that was planned for Monday 20th April, further to being advised on the previous days phone call, that nothing was said!!
    Monday 20th April I attended the meeting and was told that the company were looking into redundancies so as to reduce costs and we discussed my position and options.
    Wednesday 22 April, I attend my second meeting and was told that my division, of which I am the only employee was not going to be continuing after lock down. I explained that I had 3 live projects to return post lock down and failed to understand why they were looking to make me redundant whilst there are live projects of which I am the only person in the company to complete the outstanding projects.
    i am set to meet them again on Monday 27 April for yet another meeting which I will probably be told they are making me redundant.
    My queries are, is any of this fair due to the furlough scheme in place and they are in a position to not have to do anything whilst furlough is available. But also, whilst I have live projects to come back to.
    what should I look for as a severance.
    is this fair full stop, it seems to me, albeit biased, that they have singled me out and using this most unfortunate situation to let me go!
    i thank anyone who has made it this far reading this and I look forward to all any any comments or advice.
    Tags: None

Sorry for the delay on responding and obviously you may have more information following your meeting today.

Despite the implementation of the CJRS a redundancy process can run alongside furlough, however the company does need to be careful to ensure that they follow a fair process. Part of that is to meet the criteria for there being a redundancy situation. At the moment if there is a lack of business or the projects that you are working on have been put on hold because of the situation then I would have thought keeping you on furlough would be a sensible route to take for the time being. If they believe that potentially your role will not exist when the business starts to "return to normal" then that would be the time to consider a redundancy situation. What you need to try and understand it why they doing it now.

Unless your company has an enhanced redundancy package then you would be entitled to the statutory payments based on length of service and age. Here is a link to the government's redundancy calculator:

http://a redundancy process can run alongside furlough leave
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X