• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Coronavirus and self employed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus and self employed

Wonder if anybody can help here.* My daughter is 27 and has worked since the age of 14, going full time straight from school.
    She recently left her employment (Last working day 29th February) as she had lost faith in the new owner and she went self employed from 3rd March.
    Shes been caught in this self employed trap with coronavirus but what is complicating matters is her previous employer has not issued a P45 nor is there is there any record of my daughter being employed by her for the previous 10 months.* My daughter has wage slips and deductions have been made monthly from her salary for tax and Ni so it appears that her employer has not paid HMRC

I have contacted her old employer and she claims that she will contact my daughter immediately, she hasn't.* She claimed she hasn't blocked my daughter so shes just choosing to ignore her calls and texts.

I've read something about my daughter can claim 80% if she was in employment on 28th Feb which she was but because employer hasn't paid her contributions it looks like shes been on the dole for 10 months.* Shes never claimed any benefits in her life!
    She lives with a partner on minimum wage, neither are key workers so both unable to work

Any advice where to go here?

Thanks
    Tags: None

She can sign up and check her tax paye and National insurance on the gov.uk website - might be worth doing that first. *Then talk to HMRC once she knows what's happened.*

The 80% wouldn't be available as she isn't employed by them and it is the employer who claims the 80%

It seems likely she will need to claim universal credit. *As she's not been self employed long enough to have filed accounts /self assessment.*
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The government has announced two schemes one for employed individuals which is claimed by their employers and is the Job Retention Scheme (JRS) and the other has been created for self employed individuals Self-Employment Income Support Scheme.

However the issue for your daughter in regard to the JRS is that her last working day was 29th and she is no longer an employer therefore she is not a member of staff that her now ex-employer can ask to be put on furlough.* She therefore unfortunately does not qualify under the scheme.

With regard to the self-employed support scheme given what you have said I do not think she would meet the qualifying criteria, however I have put the link below so that she can check.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-...support-scheme

Just on the deductions issue, if our daughter believes the deductions for her tax and NI, which have been made according to her payslip, have not been reported properly then she should inform HMRC, although given the current situation they are probably very busy at the moment but she should at some stage report it. In regard to her P45 I suggest she emails her ex-employer and reminds them that by law she is required to provide a P45.

If you have any further questions then just come back to this thread.*

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi just a bit of an update for you as thing are changing.

Since your daughter was employed by her old employer on 28 February she could go back to her and ask whether she would consider re-employing her and then agree to go on furlough. That means her employer could take advantage of the Job Retention Scheme and claim 80% up to a max of £2,500 of your daughter's salary back. It means that your daughter would at least get 80% of her salary.

Her old employer may not agree but given the circumstances it is worth a try.*
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X