• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Need some advice on disability adjustments/reasonable adjustments and promotion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on disability adjustments/reasonable adjustments and promotion

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get a 2nd opinion on some trouble I am having at work right now.

Just to give you some background, in 2019 I had to take 4 months off due to stress and anxiety. This was partly down to understaffing issues that lasted quite a while. I've been back at work for a few months now and I have been on reduced hours since then (I am doing 11-5:30pm rather than 9-5:30pm). I also have ADHD and an autism disorder and I do have a sensitivity to stimulus (mostly sound). I have also been with the company coming up to 5 years now, so I'm not a new starter or anything like that!

A main part of the reason I find the job so stressful right now is due to the office being very open and noisy and it is full of distractions. Occupational health had recommended moving me to a quieter part of the office as well as providing me with a noise-cancelling headset. They refused to move me to another part of the office as I am a 'very important member of the team' (I have the most experience out of everyone there).

I've now applied for a senior position and they've let me know I can only apply for the position if I'm willing to do full time. This is very frustrating to me as I don't really feel capable of doing full time hours as I am right now, and they are not really doing much to help my recovery (as in they're not really making sufficient accommodations for my ADHD/autism disorder in my opinion).

I do have a membership of a union and discussed it with someone there, but he informed me they are allowed to do this based on the fact that they're not removing me from my current position, but it seems strange to me that I have no recourse in this situation at all.

I do have a formal complaint half-written out which I will probably submit now, but I was wondering if there's anything further I can really do in this instance?

Thanks so much!*
    Tags: None

If you are writing to your company as a complaint do you mean you are actually wanting to raise a grievance? If so is this about the recommendations from OH not being implemented in your current role and/or the issue with the non-consideration of reasonable adjustments for the position you wish to apply for?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi ULA,

Thanks so much for replying. Apologies for the delay getting back to you, but I just haven't been up to dealing with this right now.*

I think I do need to raise a grievance at this point, and it would be about them not applying the reasonable adjustments from OH, as well as not considering (as far as I'm aware) any adjustments for the position I wished to apply for.*

But the main thing I want to know really if this could be considered discriminatory, as the gentleman in the union I've discussed this wish has basiacally said it's 100% fine :/*

Hope this helps. Thanks again! *

Comment

There are two separate issues here. Firstly, there is the concern you have about the company not taking enough consideration of the recommendations made by OH in terms of making reasonable adjustments for the role that you are currently doing. If you feel that they have not given adequate consideration or provide good reasons for not making the reasonable adjustments then a grievance is the best route to go.

In terms of the senior position which as you say is a promotion, it would not be unreasonable to expect that the company considers, given the duties and responsibilities, that to perform the role would necessitate someone doing the job on a full time basis. An employer is not required to change the basic nature of the job, however it does need to consider reasonable adjustments to accommodate your disabilities if they can. So I think you need to think about how you could perform the role on a full time basis but with other reasonable adjustments that the company could consider.*
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X