• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Holiday pay and Commission when Leaving a Job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday pay and Commission when Leaving a Job

Hi,*
    Just want some advice as have just left my old job and my company are refusing to pay outstanding holiday that was owed as well as commission that was earnt.

I gave a months notice then after two weeks was told I would be on Gardening leave and should remain available to work if called in.

When being placed on Gardening Leave I was told I would 'not to worry' that I would still be getting the holiday paid in my final pay packet however they have now come back quoting a section of my contract that they don't have to pay this.

Any outstanding holiday entitlement will be deemed to have been taken during your

notice period.

My question is if this is legal or not? Can they just take my outstanding holiday and deem it as used, I was under the impression that they should be paying this by law even if I hadn't been (verbally) promised this.

My second Question.

As the role is sales based (Furniture) I also earn Commission (bonus) and the January sale was a very busy time for us and I earned almost £4k during that period before being placed on Gardening leave.

Again they have come back and are refusing to pay this stating that because I had handed in my resignation before the commission was due to paid (which is normally a month in arrears) I have forfeited this as well.

No bonus will be paid to you in accordance with clause 7.2 or 7.3 above or at all, in

the event that you have issued or have been issued with notice of termination of

employment as at the payment date.

Can they enforce this, I understand they could potentially withhold part of the commission pending any possible refunds but don't feel it right that ALL the money is forfeited

I understand it is in my contract which I didn't actually get to almost 1yr after I commenced my 4yr employment with the company an that was just a copy sent in the post by them.

I started with ACAS conciliation however the initial response returned from my previous company is that they will not be paying any of this, do not wish to make an offer of part payment and that they stand by the terms of their contract.

Do I stand any chances with a Tribunal or will I just be*

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Marcus
    Tags: None

Hi, sorry just need to ask you a few more questions.

1. The clause 8.5 you posted up is clearly a sub-section of a clause 8, what is that clause entitled can you give me the clause either side, out of the complete context of clause 8 it is difficult to provide a meaningful answer.

2. Again I need the full context for clause 7 as well.*

Many thanks
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Removed
      Last edited by Marcus1975; 11th March 2020, 14:12:PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting up the clauses which was very helpful. I have just deleted some details that I thought were personal and should not be on a public forum.

In regard to holiday it is clear that 8.4 allows for the company to require that outstanding holiday is taken during the notice period. However I think were you do have room to “negotiate” with your ex-employer is that firstly, you were led to believe that you were still getting your accrued but untaken holiday paid and secondly contractually you were required to give 8 weeks’ notice which you did. If this has followed through the company would have been required to pay you six week gardening leave in addition to the two weeks you worked. Accepting that you agreed to this (to cover off 6.12 i.e. you actually gave the required notice) I am sure you may have thought twice if you had not been assured you would be receiving your due holiday pay. I would therefore suggest that you write back to them on this basis to attempt to recover your holiday pay.

In regard to the bonus then I am sorry it is very clear from clauses 7.2 and 7.6 that bonus will not be paid if you have handed in your notice at the date the bonus payment is due to be made. I know from previous experience that commission/bonus paid staff were always checking whether they had clauses like this, which are not uncommon, to time handing in their notice.

Hope this helps.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X