• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Repayment of fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repayment of fees

Hello all,

I've been browsing the forum for a while now, I realise there are very similar questions to the one I am posing, however, I've not found one with my exact scenario. So I hope you don't mind me asking.

My work are paying (in instalments) for me to do a postgraduate degree. Due to a variety of reasons, both personal and professional, which I wont go into, I have decided that I need to leave.

No agreement was ever made surrounding repaying the fees if I left within a certain amount of time, and I have since found out that this was a mistake from our HR department not getting me to sign anything.

There is nothing mentioned in my contract about the repayment of any fees, however, there is a part in the declaration which mentions (paraphrased) 'I received a copy of the staff handbook, which I understand is part of my terms of employment'.

Now in the staff handbook there is a section which mentions the recovery of training costs. Paraphrased again it mentions, 'If we provide long-term training for professional qualifications you will be expected to give a reasonable commitment to stay...' 'Partial repayment of fees may be expected as follows...' 'Recover the full cost of training if leave up to 12 months after the end of the course' ' We have the right by acceptance of the terms within this handbook to deduct payments from money owing to you at the time of leaving, or at an agreed rate'.

What I want to know is would this be enforceable in getting me to pay the full tuition costs? Which would amount to much more than my monthly salary. I didn't sign anything regarding it and there was no agreement in place, so would these terms in the staff handbook alone make me liable to have to repay the full tuition fees? The staff handbook also refers to 'training for professional qualifications', would a postgraduate degree fall under this?
    Also, would my employer be able to deduct all my final months salary to repay these fees? Even leaving my salary below minimum wage for the month?

Thanks in advance for your help, if anybody would like the full terms I am happy to send these via private message.
    Tags: None

Given what you have posted up then in my opinion yes your company could make a case that you would be liable to repay the tuition costs. Your contract refers to a staff handbook which forms part of the terms of your employment and in that handbook it clearly states that repayment is due should you leave within 12 months.

If the money due to be repaid is greater than your final salary then the company should come to an agreement with you about the repayment terms.*
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Many thanks ULA!

Comment

Hope it helped and you know where we are if you have any other questions.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X