• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need a solicitors help with your employment issue you can find and rate firms on our sister site, JustBeagle.com

    You can obtain Free Expert & Confidential ACAS Code Based Employment Law Advice directly from ACAS by calling 0300 123 1100. It is available Monday to Friday 8am-6pm. Or visit their website at ACAS.ORG.UK

Home working

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Home working

    almost 3 years ago I took voluntary redundancy from a company I had been with for 7 years, so I could relocate. The company then re-employed me to work from home.* They have no other employees that do this.* All has been fine until recently. Last year I underwent cancer treatment, resulting in surgery on my arm meaning I could not physically work. I was off sick for 6 weeks, at their discretion I was paid in full.* I returned after the Christmas break on a part time basis, building up longer hours week on week. My arm is not healed and I now have a further complication resulting in physiotherapy appointments.
    This week I had a visit from the company stating that my job role no longer exists and in effect am being demoted (same pay) This doesn't really bother me, it's just a change in job title. However I was told I now have to visit the head office once a quarter for 2 days. It is over 200 miles away, I am currently*unable to drive, and public transport is just not an option.* I have requested I skip this first one (next month) in order to give myself further time to heal, and start from the next one in June.* I have basically been told if I don't make*the*visit next month*then the company position will be that working from home isn't working, and will basically lose my job completely.* My contract does state that I may be requested to visit head office on an ad hoc basis, however after almost 3 years can the enforce this, and with very little notice ?* I am a single person, and also have a dog to make arrangements for if I am away.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    I think there are two things here, firstly you have a medical condition that falls within the scope of the Equality Act under which you can ask for reasonable adjustments to be made. Since you have not recovered from your surgery, you could request your non-attendance at this next meeting on this occasion on the basis of it being a reasonable adjustment.*

    Secondly the question regarding your contract, even if they have not enforced it for three years there is a clause which allows them to request that you visit the office on an ad hoc basis and once a quarter would probably fall into that category.*
    I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

    You canít always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

    You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

    If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.



    Employment Law

    Are you having problems with your employer ? Unfair Dismissal, Redundancy, Problems with Pay, Contract Issues, TUPE etc.
    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm