• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Advice request - Salary Overpayment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice request - Salary Overpayment

Hi
    Was t sure which forum this query was best placed to be but wonder if anyone had any pointers on what I should do ...will keep it as brief as possible...
    I was overpaid by an ex employer I agreed to repay and arranged to pay via a payment plan. I was refused my p45 and the p60 included the overpayment. HMRC reduced my taxable allowance stating I have underpaid tax and tax credits have ceased due to the salary they reported. HMRC are refusing my appeals and advising the ex employer needs to submit a rectification but they refuse to do this until full repayment.* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I never missed a payment then out of the blue got a demand for the full balance. Replied to advise I was not in the financial position to do this (I continued paying my agreed payment plan throughout). I then got a pre court action letter from a debt collection agency. I provided the information as requested (and continued paying).*
    Now have received an email to say they are not perusing the matter further and will submit an RTI to HMRC*
    Does this mean that a debt is written off and deducted from my salary payment for that employment or will it still be treated as income. Not sure what to do to rectify the salary reported for that year so my tax can be sorted ...anyone have any advice on what I should do next? (or if further info needed do let me know)*
    Tags: None

Who did you receive the email from your ex-employer or the debt collection agency?

Is there still a balance outstanding of what you have paid back compared to what the overpayment amount was?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

So the payment plan was agreed with the ex employer.
      For a bot of background they decided to transfer my account to a debt collection agency after seeing on LinkedIn I had been with a new employer for 3 years (they never contacted me to verify this information as it was in fact a series of short term contracts so my financial position didn't change).
      So I randomly got a pre court action letter from the debt agency. After lots of coresspondance querying the course of action I completed the form. The ex employer then emailed me to say they were no longer praying and to stop payments which I was still making. My concern is my HMRC tax position is the debt wiped off or is it still classed as income as there is a remaining balance. I never heard from the debt agency again

Comment

Excuse the typos!!

Comment

Although they are not pursuing the debt is there still a balance "owing" on the overpaid salary? If so and they are not requesting this to be paid then I believe that this will be considered as income.*
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X