• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy

Good morning,
    This may sound like a silly question, but what is the main differences (apart from the pay off) between handing you notice in and voluntary redundancy.*
    thanks in advance Scott*
    Tags: None

Hi, for there to be a voluntary redundancy situation then the company would have already declared that there is a redundancy situation and that there is a reduced requirement for the job/s of a specific type. As part of the redundancy consultation process they may ask for volunteers who choose to take the redundancy terms being offered and leave their employment. This is often done to try and reduce the number of compulsory redundancies that need to be made.

Handing in your notice happens when you have decide to leave the company and there is no redundancy situation happening at the company. In this situation you either work your notice period or if the company does not require you to work your notice then you are paid in lieu of working your notice.

Hope that helps.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

You may also lose any financial recompense for handing in your notice as opposed to*VR. My previous employers were very naughty, offered me VR which I took at*6 months tax free lump sum.* I hated the work anyway and the dept. so was glad to leave. Shortly afterwards,*a former student got the job that didn't exist, I took it to the solicitor but they didn't want to know as they also advised me wrongly given that*they were paid*to deal with this matter by my employer.. I should have got independent advice in hindsight...

Comment

Hi again, sorry for the long delay and thank you for your comments. So I have done a bit of investigating of the company I currently work for, and it seems to me they favour people who have worked for the company befor and taken VR. *I worked for this company back in 2011 and I left when things were getting worse ( letting people go) as I had found myself another job. I have now worked for them for 5 years(old company) and am seeing a lot of the old faces that I used to work with who took VR, when these people have come back to work for this company they were given there old ID number, a higher rate of pay, and the old style pension, which I was told was now closed. *When I questioned this with someone in HR department they told me "it because I left", but is leaving and VR not the same ?

Comment

As I understand from what you have said you left by handing in your resignation.*

People who go under VR do so because the company has started a redundancy consultation process and part of which they have asked for volunteers to potentially reduce the number of compulsory redundancies. They would be entitled to a payment of a redundancy package.*
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X