• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Made redundant, when challenged was dismissed for Gross Misconduct!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made redundant, when challenged was dismissed for Gross Misconduct!

I, very naiively, paid a supplier for my boss using my own personal credit card in May 2019. On 23rd December 2019, after many months of chasing this money and being promised it 'next week', I again asked for the money to be repaid within 7 days.
    On the 7th day (30th December) he sent me a whatsapp message saying as the company was not doing very well he was making me redundant with immediate effect.
    I wrote to him to appeal the redundancy as it was unfair and did not follow any of the correct procedures. I have a 3 month notice period, have 10 days outstanding holidays etc.
    I submitted a claim via Acas website on 6th January as I had heard nothing from him.
    On 6th January, after I had submitted my ET1, he emailed to say he had changed his mind and instead was sacking me for gross misconduct. The reason for his 'gross misconduct' claim is not at all valid and has been manufactured by him, however he has not followed any correct procedures again. There was no independent hearing, no opportunity to defend myself etc.
    I am having to do a new Acas claim and new ET1 as this is now automatic unfair dismissal on the grounds that I have asserted my statutory rights.
    I am starting a civil claim in order to recover the money I lent him.
    The fly in the ointment is that this man thinks he will not have to pay me anything awarded by any future tribunal if he changes his company name. I have seen on companies house that on the day he made me redundant he has already incorporated a new company with an almost identical name to the one I was employed by. The address is the same and he is named as the director.

My questions are as follows:
    Should I get an ACAS certificate for each of his listed companies to ensure that whatever name he decides to use is covered by my action?
    Should I just add all the company names to one claim?
    Does the Companies Act 2006 Section 81 (3)apply where this is a ruse being used to avoid paying the company's debts? He owes thousands to me and to suppliers and has changed the company name before to avoid paying.
    *This section, which replaces sections 28(6) and 32(5) in part and, in total, section 28(7) of the 1985 Act, provides that the new name is effective as soon as the altered certificate of incorporation is issued. It also provides that the change of name does not affect the company’s rights or obligations or legal proceedings by or against it in its previous name.

Any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I have been to CAB a few times and they have been great but I think this question is probably beyond their scope of knowledge.

Many thanks CE
    Tags: None

Sorry for the delay in responding to you.

When you complete the form for early conciliation, which is the first step in the ACAS process, then submit two forms one in each company name. When you are then contacted by ACAS, then let them know what you have done and they can help you agree which is the correct company name to pursue your claim. *
    Hope that makes sense.

The details for ACAS early conciliation can be found here*https://ec.acas.org.uk/

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X