• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unpaid Wages / Change Company Name / Sold Assets - Must be a legal issue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpaid Wages / Change Company Name / Sold Assets - Must be a legal issue?

I am aware of company that owes thousands of pounds to ex-employees for unpaid wages, holidays and pensions.* This company also owes thousands of pounds to other companies where they have not made payment for materials they have purchased.

A number of the ex-employees attended an employment tribunal to challenge for unpaid wages after work with ACAS was completed.* The company did not attend this tribunal.* The judge awarded monies to all ex-employees.* The defendant has since refused to pay monies that is owed.* The company has also been issued with a fine from the government for not paying wages through their new scheme and are to be named on the government website.

A writ had been issued to instruct a high enforcement team to collect the monies owed.* The high enforcement team have attended on a number of occasions but have been unable to recover monies.* However the defendant has challenged the writ as he has now changed the name of his company to something different.* The defendant has also sold all of the assets from this company to another company that he owns.* He has then changed the name of the company that he sold the assets to.* He has named this as the original company name that owed the money. This company is now operating as normal.
    I am aware the name change of the writ has been challenged by ex-employees and a court hearing is going to take place about this.* However the defendant has hired a solicitor who has sent paperwork to get ex-employees to sign to say the company name has changed and they have no assets to pay them.* They have also threatened if the solicitor attends court he will then be charging the ex-employees for them attending.

Surely all of this can’t be legal?* The defendant must be in the wrong here.*
    Tags: None

Is anybody able to help here?

A bit further information today. One set of assets were sold on the day of employment tribunal and the second set a few weeks later, the day before the name change.*

Comment

Is the company a limited company registered at Companies House? In which case have you checked whether the company registration number has changed as a result of the name change?

Do you know whether payment has actually been made by the "new company" for the purchased assets of the "old company or has it just been a paper exercise?*
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
        Is the company a limited company registered at Companies House? In which case have you checked whether the company registration number has changed as a result of the name change?

Do you know whether payment has actually been made by the "new company" for the purchased assets of the "old company or has it just been a paper exercise?
        From my understanding, I believe the company number stayed the same when they changed their name.

It appears that the assets have been paid for by the director and his wife. Whats interesting is I have obtained a copy of the bank statement showing the sale. On the same day the assets are purchased almost the exact amount of money is sent out of the account and then placed back as the sale of goods. The payment was made to the company solicitor but then paid back in by the company director. Although a substantive amount of money was paid back in for the assets the balance closed on a minus for that day?

Comment

I am not so sure of my facts when dealing with the enforcement of a tribunal award when it gets to this stage in the proceedings, so I would suggest that you do double check the situation.

However, I believe that if the company has only changed its name but still has the same company registration number, then it is still the same company as in the judgment/writ and enforcement can proceed.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X