• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unofficial redundancy offer (57 year old male)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial redundancy offer (57 year old male)

My brother in law works as an operations manager in a manufacturing environment.* *In 6 years employment he has never been off-sick until now.
    He has been off sick with stress for last 2 weeks due to 12 hour days, 24 x 7 phone-calls and general over working.
    The company called him in on Thursday (9/1) for a "chat" (HR Manager and Ops Director in room).* They didn't ask how he was, said he couldn't tell a soul, but they would give him 5months redundancy pay but they needed to know by tomorrow (Monday 13/1).* *They have advised they will immediately withdraw the offer if he does not respond tomorrow.
    He has received nothing in writing, has had* no chance to prepare which is further increasing his stress.* *I'm seeking some general advice as well as confirmation of what correct process would be here as well as how long you get to formally review a redundancy offer.* *
    My final question is; should my brother in law pro-actively write to them to ask for the offer in writing or wait till they provide the offer in writing (or don't)?* *
    All advise appreciated.*
    Tags: None

My first question is about whether there is in fact a redundancy situation and even if there was then the company would need to go through a consultation process with your brother-in-law.*

Are they in fact wanting to part company with your BiL and using the redundancy calculation as a method of compensating him? In which case what they should be offering your BiL is some form of Settlement Agreement.*

I think the first thing your BiL needs to do is establish just exactly the basis upon which they are trying to terminate his employment.*
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      My first question is about whether there is in fact a redundancy situation and even if there was then the company would need to go through a consultation process with your brother-in-law.

Are they in fact wanting to part company with your BiL and using the redundancy calculation as a method of compensating him? In which case what they should be offering your BiL is some form of Settlement Agreement.

I think the first thing your BiL needs to do is establish just exactly the basis upon which they are trying to terminate his employment.
      Thanks for the quick response.* * Responses to your questions below:
      No consultation process offered, a phonecall last Wednesday, went in last Thursday and immediate verbal offer (nothing in writing) - told it will be withdrawn today
      Yes, it appears to me that they are seeking to make him redundant as a method of compensation.* *Should he request a settlement agreement in writing?
      They have not suggested a a basis with which they wish to terminate, should he ask for this in writing?

Thanks for the help

Comment

If they cannot prove a genuine business reason as to why the role your BiL carries out is no longer required then this is not a redundancy. If there are legitimate reasons then they need to start a redundancy consultation with him.*

If there is no genuine redundancy then your BiL needs to establish why they want to terminate his employment and yes even if he has verbal conversations they need to be followed up in writing.*

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X