• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

I am owed money for work done.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am owed money for work done.

Hello, I am a 19 year old newbie and seeking advice about being paid for some days work that I did for someone. I have tried everything I can to get the balance owed (he paid some in cash) but he keeps asking for an invoice. I am not self-employed, so I don't have invoices. Which forum is best for this situation please?
    Tags: None

The employment law forum https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...ent-law-issues
    (I've moved your post for you)

what kind of work were you doing ? What was the agreement regarding payment for the work ? How much is outstanding ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst, many thanks for your response. I did 3 days gardening work at an agreed £70 per day. The employer asked if he could pay cash in hand to begin with and I agreed. The employer's colleague paid me £100 and I sent a text to the employer asking him to transfer the balance of £110 to my bank. He said he could do it in a few days but did not.
      Last edited by sliverson; 16th December 2019, 12:17:PM.

Comment

Well, it sounds like a quite casual arrangement for a few days work in which case you are unlikely to be deemed an employee. You could just produce an invoice for the person you did the work for - they likely need it to put the payments to you through their books.

You will need to declare the income in any benefits claim / self assessment tax return etc.

Doesn't need to be anything complicated - just something like https://static.makeuseof.com/wp-cont...late-basic.png - only need your name and address, bank details to make payment to, "Gardening work - 3 days @ £70 per day - Total £210"
        "Payment Received £100"
        "Total Outstanding £110"
        "Payable within 7 days from date of Invoice."
        "Please make payment to xxxx Bank - Sort Code xx-xx-xx Account xxxxxxx "

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks again for your advice. I have now sent an invoice. Maybe the employer will pay up..... I didn't think I could send an invoice since I am not a company or self-employed. I didn't claim any benefits while looking for work but am now in full time permanent employment. Would I still need to complete a self assessment or can I just let tax office know so they can collect through my paye?

Comment

Fingers crossed you get your outstanding payment.

I suggest you either call HMRC or there is a web-chat facility and they should be able to advise the best way to deal with the tax situation.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X