• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Reference request during probation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference request during probation

Hi,

In my current job the probation period is extended. I have received a new job offer. So wondering how would HR provide my reference while I am on extended probation? Also, if my start date for new job is after my probation finishes in current role, will my current employer let me pass before I leave?

Thanks for your help!
    Tags: None

Most companies give generic worked from to info due to legalities cannot give specific bad reference unless you have listed as personal reference.This changes however if they are asked specifically for anything that could affect security checks or fiscal credit checks eg five year back ground check.Please be more specific on what you are asking ..

Comment

If they have reason for wanting to stay yes they can let you pass if generic did you work there from too you will be fine unless you have listed manager etc as a personal referee and not hr as work reference if you follow .. why so worried if more such as fiscal or security differs so please elaborate

Comment

Hi,
        thanks for your reply.

No background check etc. Also only thinking to give HR ref. No issues of discipline etc as well. Just a situation where got a good offer during extended probation. So wondering how to handle this. Should I just provide my current employer details for ref or discuss the situation and ask to submit ref in a week or 10 days (as I am expecting to hear about my probation by then). Finally, was thinking how would it look with other future employer if I need to mention moving during probation.

Comment

I am wondering under factual reference, what they can say? Also, don't want a situation where for couple of weeks am going for probation based ref against a normal one.

Comment

A factual reference normally provided details of start/end date, job title and that is about it. However it depends on what else the new employer may ask details of and whether the previous employer is happy to provide those details examples are number of sick days in the last 12 months, salary on leaving, any disciplinary actions on file.

I presume your new employer knows that you have not been employed very long with your existing company so I doubt whether they would expect a details reference.Â*
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I am wondering under factual reference do they mention resign under probation as reason to leave?

Thanks,

Comment

Also, should I mention about extended probation to my new employer before ref check?

Comment

Why has there been an extension to the probation?
                  If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Frankly horrible boss. But no point in going there. Few objectives were asked to complete. Already done in 1 week but waiting for them to be reviewed since 1 month.

Comment

My main aim is to how to handle the who transition thing. And so all these questions. Any help will be much appreciated.

Comment

I presume in the interview you had to provide a reason for leaving your current job so they would be aware you are not happen and you have not been employed there very long.
                        Have you had the job offer in writing and accepted it?
                        If so have you handed in your notice to your current employer to give the right amount in order to start your new job on the agreed start date?
                        Yes references will be requested of your current employer but I doubt if they would be able to give much information other than factual details since you have not been employed there very long.

Comment

Hi, no reason was asked for moving job. In fact, the new HR was fine with me leaving under probation until no disciplinary/long sickness were present. Also, as I asked my HR to give reference and not my boss it worked well as a basic reference was requested. So, I feel for future always give HR contact as reference and one quick move under probation is not bad if you have strong profile. Finally, if possible try and check with HR about their reference policy while new at job, this should help in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Neesheel View Post
                            My main aim is to how to handle the who transition thing. And so all these questions. Any help will be much appreciated.
                            That's the question that always sounds. Employers are always interested in why the applicant left the last place of work and came to them.
                            But it is important to be able to tell this reason or to remain silent. But you don't need to talk negatively about past work

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X