• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Overpaid by employer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpaid by employer

In November 2018 I switched from a part time contract of 20 hours / week to a zero hour contract.

I was signed off sick for mental health reasons and returned to work in early September 2019.

I did not receive a September or October paycheck of which is supposed to be paid on the 28th of the month. I have online access to my paychecks of which showed nothing.

I enquired about this and was told by my manager that payroll had absorbed the entirety of my September and October pay. This is because I was overpaid when my contract changed and they were taking the repayment until it is all paid back - not paying me for any of the money I earn until the cost have been recovered.

At NO POINT was I informed I was overpaid. No letters, no emails, nobody attempted to contact my manager. I only found out by asking why I was not being paid. In addition, after calling payroll, both paychecks conveniently showed up on the system, showing that I had been paid and deducted.

I explained I could not forgo everything I am earning at once and needed at least some money now. My manager authorised a repayment plan, and apparently did so on the basis that I agreed to work at least one day a week. Because of this, they are pressuring me to keep working to pay it off, even as a zero hours employee.

Has my employer acted illegally? What kind of case do I have if any? Any advice offered will be much appreciated.

Do you have an employment contract ? Is there any provision in there which permits corrections to be made where sums have been paid in error ?
    If so they can recoup overpayments from your wages, and there isn't a limit to what they can recoup.

You changed from a 20 hour contract to a zero hour contract - so when you were off sick you were already on the zero hours contract ? what were you being paid whilst signed off ? SSP ? What period was the overpayment apparently made over - and was that while you were signed off?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Do you have an employment contract ? Is there any provision in there which permits corrections to be made where sums have been paid in error ?
      If so they can recoup overpayments from your wages, and there isn't a limit to what they can recoup.

You changed from a 20 hour contract to a zero hour contract - so when you were off sick you were already on the zero hours contract ? what were you being paid whilst signed off ? SSP ? What period was the overpayment apparently made over - and was that while you were signed off?
      I was not sent a new contract as a zero hour employee, just a letter confirming that the switch had been made.

Yes, I worked a little less than two weeks on zero hours before requesting to be signed off sick.

I do not currently have information on the date the contract officially switched. It was registered on the 4th of the month, and I was told it went through "after the cut off" for the payroll to be adjusted. I do not know the date I was officially signed off sick from the requested date, but stopped shifts immediately after.

My last paycheck was end of November 2018. This was the only overpayment I received, which would have been the month in which I worked the first half and signed off sick the second half, after that I was paid nothing as I did not work.

Comment

What did your previous contract stay about the company being able to make deductions from salary for overpayments made by them?

I think you should also too back to your employer and ask them for an exact breakdown of the overpayment made in terms of amount and when this happened.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X