• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Validity of non-compete agreement in the UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Validity of non-compete agreement in the UK

Good morning,

Some advice on the following would be appreciated.

Situation: I am in a recruitment company in London where I have a 360-role (bring on new clients, and fill roles for those clients). I was approached a few weeks ago by one of those clients to join them in an internal capacity. The interview process has been successful and I received the offer letter/contract through today. I was already aware of a clause in my contract that states the following:

- 17(f) shall not, without the previous consent in writing of the Board and whether on the Employee’s own
    account or for any other person, firm, company or organisation, directly or indirectly, work for a client
    of the Company or any end user of any Company client.

Question: How enforceable is this clause? And should I pay an employment lawyer to cast an eye over this?

(Additional information: I have a good relationship with my company, with 4 years tenure and will not be taking any of my team or confidential information with me. However, legally speaking I am open to being pursued for costs, etc)

Many thanks in advance,
    FD
    Tags: None

The clause seems quite definitive to me to rule out exactly what you are proposing to do - work for a client of the company.

There is the possibility of approaching the 'Board' for consent in writing. There may be some kind of settlement and confidentiality agreement you can enter in to.

Is the rest of paragraph 17 relevant ? ( anything about time limits as to when this applies - you can't be stopped from working for any of the company's clients for the rest of time for example )

Directly or Indirectly and 'any end use of any company client' might be a little wide ranging too.

I'll tag Ula for you but think you will need to post the full para 17 to get an informed opinion.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I read this as working for clients etc while still employed by the company

Comment

The clause is definitive, I agree. My question is - how enforceable is it? And what are the likely consequences?

Full text posted below:

17 RESTRAINT ON ACTIVITIES OF EMPLOYEE
        17.1 For a period of six months after termination of the Employment for whatever reason (including
        breach of contract) the Employee:
        (a) shall not without the previous consent in writing of the Board and whether on the Employee’s own
        account or for any other person, firm, company or organisation, directly or indirectly entice or
        endeavour to entice away from the Company or any Group Company any person who is at the
        Termination Date, or who at any time during the period of six months prior to the Termination Date
        was employed in any capacity by the Company or any Group Company, and with whom the
        Employee had contact in the course of their Employment during such six month period, nor will the
        Employee knowingly employ or directly or indirectly aid or assist or procure the Employment by any
        other person, firm or company of any such person; or

(b) shall not directly or indirectly approach, solicit, or deal with in competition with the Company or any
        Group Company, any person, firm, company or other organisation whatsoever who, at any time
        during the period of six months immediately preceding the Termination Date, was a Client of the
        Company or any Group Company with whom the Employee had personal contact on behalf of the
        Company or any Group Company;

(c) shall not directly or indirectly approach, solicit or deal with in competition with the Company or any
        Group Company, any person who, at any time during the period of six months immediately preceding
        the Termination Date, was a Temporary Worker of the Company or any Group Company with whom
        the Employee had personal contact on behalf of the Company or any Group Company;

(d) shall not directly or indirectly approach, solicit or deal with in competition with the Company or any
        Group Company, any person who, at any time during the period of six months immediately preceding
        the Termination Date, was an Applicant of the Company or any Group Company and with whom the
        Employee dealt on behalf of the Company or any Group Company;

(e) shall not, without the previous consent in writing of the Board and whether on the Employee’s own
        account or for any other person, firm, company or organisation, directly or indirectly, provide
        recruitment services to clients or candidates who operate in the same industry as the main industry
        for which the Employee provided recruitment services on behalf of the Company or a Group
        Company;

(f) shall not, without the previous consent in writing of the Board and whether on the Employee’s own
        account or for any other person, firm, company or organisation, directly or indirectly, work for a client

17.2 The Employee acknowledges and agrees:
        (a) that, each of the restrictions in clause 17.1 constitutes an entirely separate and independent
        restriction; also that the duration, extent and application of each of the restrictions are no greater than
        is necessary for the protection of the interests of the Company and do not work harshly on the
        Employee; and

(b) that, if any such restriction shall be adjudged by any court of competent jurisdiction to be void or
        unenforceable as going beyond what is reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of the
        interests of the Company, but would be valid if part of the wording thereof was deleted, the said
        restriction shall apply within the jurisdiction of that court with such modifications as may be necessary
        to make it valid and effective; and

(c) that, if requested by the Company (whether during or following termination of the Employment),
        the Employee shall enter into a separate deed of covenant (containing substantially similar restraints
        on their activities to those set out in clause 17.1) with any Group Company nominated by the
        Company (and, if appropriate, the Company itself), and such deed shall be governed by the law of the
        jurisdiction in which such Group Company is incorporated or carries on business.

17.3 The Employee shall not knowingly at any time make any untrue statement in relation to the
        Company or any Group Company and in particular shall not after the termination of the Employment
        hereunder for any reason wrongfully be represented as being employed by or connected with the
        Company or any Group Company.

Comment

17.1 For a period of six months after termination of the Employment for whatever reason (including
          breach of contract) the Employee: …

(f) shall not, without the previous consent in writing of the Board and whether on the Employee’s own

Six months is reasonable.

17.2 The Employee acknowledges and agrees:

(a) that, each of the restrictions in clause 17.1 constitutes an entirely separate and independent
          restriction; also that the duration, extent and application of each of the restrictions are no greater than
          is necessary for the protection of the interests of the Company and do not work harshly on the
          Employee; and

Fair do.

Soooooooo, how does obtaining consent in writing from the Board seem like an option?

Otherwise damages or an injunction ( they can ask the court to uphold the clause in the agreement so you cannot work for the new employer until 6 months has passed ) - recent Supreme Court case

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2017-0182.html

There's another case on here where the 'old' employer spoke to the 'new' employer and they just withdrew their offer due to non-compete clauses not having been disclosed at the time of the offer of employment. So that is another possibility - particularly if the client you intend to work for also intends to continue using the services of your current employer.

Not easy, so it is a good idea to try and get agreement and some kind of exclusion to the clause / settlement & confidentiality agreement from current employer before accepting new employer offer.

Just my thoughts though so wait see what anyone else thinks as well before doing anything - it could well be worth getting the opinion of an employment solicitor before making any decisions to try and protect yourself.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you, I understand. It sounds like the prudent course of action, before signing any documents, is to sit down with my CEO and see what their response is, and whether they would look to enforce that clause. The new company are aware of the non-compete.

As I would be merely informing them of my intention, as opposed to presenting them with an already-signed-and-sealed contract for the new company, I presume this would be the safest way to proceed and gauge the reaction. If the indication is that they will enforce, then gaining advice from an employment solicitor will be my next call.

Would welcome any further opinions on this from others, of course.

Comment

In my view this clause would be enforceable by the company, the only thing that may be questionable is whether the 6 months time limit is too long but effectively you signed up to the contract with those clauses in place.

I suggest that you speak with the CEO and see if you can get the necessary agreement to be able to work for the client although be expected to consider a compromise on the time limit if they are not inclined to waive the 17.1 (f) in its entirety.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X