• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

taxable benefit does your employer have to tell you by law about it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taxable benefit does your employer have to tell you by law about it.

Hi all hope someone can help with this one. As it a pain and a bit odd.
    I would work under PAYE but I do not, as it has a one year of benefit set. My contract say PAYE and I am no position to walk out or I would of.
    Every company I work for any benefit you pay all the tax in the same year you have the benefit. But not company I work not now they force you to pay the year after.

I started in fed 2017 all was fine I misted the benefit windows for that year. So no benefits oh hum. Come January 2018 I did not get taxed for £90 for one TAX year. Then I found out about the offset. Well come the P11D June 2018 the right tax mount of tax was on there so I spent then next year paying they tax.
    Ie tax year 2017 /2018
    Come January 2019 I stopped the benefit.
    Then in June 2019 I get a new P11D with a nice big benefit tax bill of £200 for at year 2018 to 2019
    It took months to get them to drop down to £90 I ask what for in the end I was told the benefit I had starting April 2017. Asked what benefit. The same one I picked in January 2018.
    I point out the company benefit policy clearly say that no benefit can be started or stopped out of the benefits window. And that I had not been informed of the benefit. There reply was I had been in my P11D for tac year 2017 to 2018.
    I then pointed why was it in the tax year for 2018 to 2019 ops we meant the tax on the P11D for Tx 2017 to 2018 was for the benefit starting April 2017 and the tax on the benefit starting January 2018 is on the P11D for tax Year 2018 to 2019.

It is clear they are trying to rip me off.

HMRC will not nothing

HMRC say yes they have to inform me of all benefits by law and it on there website but cannot tell me where and cannot put in writing to me then hung up.

So if you get a taxable benefit does your employer have to tell you by law about it.
    Where can I fined this information?
    Tags: None

I think you are asking about benefits in kind so for example providing health insurance or taking another payment from your pretax income.

At the end of the tax year the company then informs the tax office of your benefits in kind for the previous tax year , so as we are in the 19-20 tax year it would be the 18-19 tax year. The tax office should then adjust your tax code. so if you stopped the benefit in March 2019 you would still be paying tax on it in 2019/20

Remember as well the telephone operatives can not give you tax advice, they are not qualified

Comment

Originally posted by Matty B View Post
      I think you are asking about benefits in kind so for example providing health insurance or taking another payment from your pretax income.

At the end of the tax year the company then informs the tax office of your benefits in kind for the previous tax year , so as we are in the 19-20 tax year it would be the 18-19 tax year. The tax office should then adjust your tax code. so if you stopped the benefit in March 2019 you would still be paying tax on it in 2019/20

Remember as well the telephone operatives can not give you tax advice, they are not qualified
      Yes it is a Health cash plan. I always paid in the year i had the cover till now.

The Main question is

Does a Company have to by LAW tell you have Benefits in kind and let you opt out of them. ( as it is not part of contractual obligation )

or can they run you a tax bill of say £2000 with you know about it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X