• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Resignation, Garden Leave and Legal Letter for Damages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resignation, Garden Leave and Legal Letter for Damages

Hello All

I am very new to this site and could really do with some advice, thank you in advance.

I resigned my senior position giving the notice required, earlier this year. The situation had been very difficult for some time through the actions or no action of the head of the Company, in fact for a couple of years. I explained why I was leaving and then I was offered another role which would have resolved many of the issues. However, nothing was said about this after an initial meeting. The situation then became untenable to the extreme.

In month 5 of the 6 months notice I was put on Garden Leave. On the day of my termination I then received a letter from the Company solicitor stating that I had caused my employer losses in IP and they could now not effectively run the business without it. It states they are with holding my last salary payment and are looking to claim damages. I have not done what they are accusing me of, none of the information provided to the solicitor is factual.

I responded to the letter stating the allegations were false and I requested evidence, which I knew they wouldn't be able to provide without fabricating it. No response after two weeks.

At the end of my garden leave I am then told by several individuals that what I could only describe as slanderous comments are being made about me internally and externally.

Under advisement of a professional I sent a letter requesting an update on the situation to the company solicitor. Still no response.

My questions are:

Can my ex-employer withhold all of my last salary payment without evidence of the alleged situation and without my agreement? If yes, does this mean I need to seek legal assistance? If I don't receive a response, do I just leave it or should I seek confirmation that it is not being taken further and quite frankly ask for an apology.

Thanks again
    Tags: None

If the withholding of your wages occurred more than 3 months (less a day) ago, you are out of time for making an employment tribunal claim for unlawful deduction of wages, unless you can come up with a very good reason for delaying.

Answers to your questions in order
    1 no
    2 n/a - as no to 1
    3 Up to you

I would say, however, that if you do nothing, you may well be on the wrong end of a claim in damage by your ex employer.

Comment

If you are outside the three month time limit you can initiate a claim in the county court for breach of contract

Comment

Thank you for the advice. It's only just happened, this month. I have chased the solicitor for confirmation they have received my original response, no response back as of yet. Do they have to respond to me or does it depend on what their client says? Just frustrating that they have chosen to do this and now I hear nothing.

Comment

No - the solicitor firm does not have to respond to you - you need to consider making a claim against your former employer.

Comment

Thank you so much for your advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X