• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Have I resigned?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I resigned?

Hello all, I wonder if there are any HR experts around who might be able to answer my question?
    I work/worked as a delivery driver for a large supermarket chain. The vans are all fitted with telemetry and CCTV. At the beginning of July we had all the old vans replaced with a new fleet. In late July I was “clocked” at 58mph in a 40mph zone and because of that was invited in by the dept manager for a disciplinary meeting which took place on the 30th of July. The upshot of the meeting was that the decision to either give me a written warning or dismiss me was being passed further down the line.
    I questioned the evidence re the speeding and was told that the van takes a reading 20 metres past where the road sign is located and at that point it showed I was speeding. Of course I asked if there was any other evidence to corroborate the GPS ping and was told there was not. So basically they were looking at officially warning me/dismissing me based on one flimsy piece of evidence. The other fly in the ointment is that since the new vans were introduced I am one of eighteen drivers who are being investigated for alleged speeding. It raises the question are the vans accurate/calibrated correctly?
    Anyway, the upshot is I was stressed and angry on the night (certainly not in the right frame of mind to deliver shopping) so I threw my teddy out of the cot and walked out leaving behind my clock cards and some items of uniform.
    I did not give any notice to anyone that I was quitting nor sign any resignation.
    And that was it…..no further contact from anyone at the company until I received a letter on the 7th of August asking me to fill in a post employment interview form following my immediate resignation on the 30th of July.
    Can anyone answer whether what they have done is lawful? Yes I know it was not the best way to handle the situation but I did not sign anything about resigning, and was not spoken to after the incident by any person from management or HR about my status.
    Sorry to drone on with my first post.
    Regards
    Lima
    Tags: None

In terms of timing of events and what has happened since can you provide some further information by answering the following questions which will help me provide a response.

Did you walk out on the 30th July after the meeting?
    Did you tell anyone you were leaving and would not be working?
    Have you been due to work since you walked out?
    If so have you worked or if not have you been in contact with your employer?

Many thanks
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi, Yes I did walk out after the meeting on the 30th. I spoke with one of the driver support staff and told him I was leaving and would not be making deliveries. As I said I was very angry at the time. I should have gone back on the 31st but did not, and as mentioned I have not been in contact with anyone from the store since.

Regards
      Lima

Comment

I think then, given your actions, the company has probably thought that you have left. It would have been good practice for the company to try and make contact with you, but given you did not speak to a manager when you left you cannot be sure what message was given by the support staff person about your departure.

I think you have to make the decision as to whether to want to move on from this job or get in contact with the company and have a conversation with them about the incident that led you to walking out and see if that can be resolved.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you for taking time to reply. I think given the poor management at the store I will move on.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X