• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy

I recently had my contract terminated after working 3 years 2 months. The post of Project Manager was made redundant and a new post of Property Manager was created and subsequently filled by someone else. I asked when I would be paid redundancy payment but have been told that they do view my position has being made redundant as my duties have transferred over to the new post.
    My understanding is that it is the Post that has been made redundandant and therefore I have been made redundant and am entitled to a redundancy payment regardless whether some or all of my duties have been transferred over. Am I correct in my assumption?
    Tags: None

You say you had your contract terminated, where you on a permanent contract?

Did you hold the post of Project Manager?

Were you asked to apply for the new position that was created?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi, yes I was on a full time permanent contract and my job title was project manager.
      On 24th March my line manager phoned saying the owner of the company wanted to terminate my contract. On 28th March I was sent formal letter terminating my contract and was served 4 weeks notice as per my contract with my final date being 30th April.
      I was given no reason other than the owner had wanted this carried out sometime previous and I was offered no consultation or alternative job.
      A new post of Property Manager was created and another person was appointed. He commenced his employment while I was working my notice period. I was not offered the post.
      I wrote to the company 5 or 6 times asking when I would receive my redundancy payment and some outstanding expenses. These were all ignored.
      I tried early conciliation via ACAS to no avail, there reasoning was that they do not view it as redundancy as the new employee is carrying on with some of my duties.
      Thanks
      Ian

Comment

I think that you do have the basis of a claim. By terminating your employment without due process given your length of service, there is a claim for unfair dismissal. You have 3 months less a day from your termination date of 30 April so if you are going to proceed with a claim you will need to complete an ET1 form quite quickly.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
          I think that you do have the basis of a claim. By terminating your employment without due process given your length of service, there is a claim for unfair dismissal. You have 3 months less a day from your termination date of 30 April so if you are going to proceed with a claim you will need to complete an ET1 form quite quickly.
          Thanks, it is more the redundancy payment opposed to the unfair dismissal claim I am going to pursue. I've just been trying to ascertain that if it is the post that has been made redundant then I am entitled to a redundancy payment regardless if my duties passed to the new post?

Thanks

Comment

To clarify you can claim for unfair dismissal on the basis that a fair procedure was not followed and if any claim was successful you might be entitled to an award for unfair dismissal and a redundancy payment if it was deemed to be a redundancy.

One reason for a redundancy occurring which applies to your situation is where the employer no longer has a need for work of a particular type, in this case the role as project manager.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X