• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Apprenticeship statutory sick pay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprenticeship statutory sick pay?

Good afternoon all, and hello, my first thread.

I write on behalf of my partner. She is three weeks away from completing her first year as an apprentice nursery nurse. However, she has been off work due to sickness for the last 6 weeks, and will not see our this term, hoping to be back for the new September term.

From day one of the sickness she has been assured she will receive full SSP, we found out on Friday this was not the case, receive just £39 for a months wage.

She has spoken to all those needed working for her employer, and been informed she is not eligible for SSP due to her wage, she receives £117 per week, working out as being £1 short of the criteria of £118 for national insurance contributions, and deeming her ineligible for SSP. I ask, surely there is some kinda of dispensation or provision for those working on an apprenticeship? They go in to this work understanding for a year they’ll earn much less than years to follow, but aren’t eligible for any form of sick pay if they become ill/or are injured, is this correct? I do hope we have someone here able to assist at all.

Kind regards

John
    Tags: None

If your partner has not earned on average £118 per week then unfortunately she will not be entitled to SSP and I am not aware of any leeway for being on an apprenticeship scheme. What her employer can provide an SSP1 form which states why they cannot pay SSP and she may qualify for Employment & Support Allowance (ESA).

https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...ce/eligibility

Hope that helps.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X